Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-24-2012, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

poor employee preformance

Hey guys Earlier in the year I had to bring on another worker to help my dad with mowing. This guy is 19 years old and complains sometimes and literally can't remember what i teach him. My dad hired him on the spot without my approval but we needed help right away, he's really awkward and a few clients have told me he creeps them out. A few weeks ago i went on with him to do a Saturday route Because we were behind, every time i went by him he was just letting the trimmer run and scalp the lawn. When i say that i mean he was day dreaming while the trimmer was at full throttle. I called him a few weeks ago after that incident and told him I'd hired someone else and wouldn't need him. Yesterday he called my dad asking for his job back!!!! This right here tells me he doesn't respect the fact that i own the company and he thought he could kiss my dads a$$ for his job back. On top of that he doesn't even have a drivers license and I have to cart him half way across KCMO to get him back to his house. I don't even think he wants to learn at all about lawn & trees he just bs'd some stuff to my dad. Has anyone else had something like this happen to them?
Old 06-24-2012, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Did you dad hire him back? If not then no problem
Old 06-24-2012, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your company, run it your way. Have a heart to heart with Dad about hiring without your approval. The guy was an obvious liability and it was only a matter of time before he effed up big. A DL is bare minimum for job qualifications in this business.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

This sounds like the guy that works with me. Thankfully this is his last week as I don't have enough work outside mowing to need another employee. As far as your guy goes do what I'm doing and cut him loose for good.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Member

The best thing to do is be really selective before you hire someone. The trick is not to get into the situation where you need someone right away. Hiring in a rush always leads to problems. Interview prospective employees before you really need them. Then hire them and train them before you need them. That way when you really need them they will be trained and ready.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
This sounds like the guy that works with me. Thankfully this is his last week as I don't have enough work outside mowing to need another employee. As far as your guy goes do what I'm doing and cut him loose for good.
that was my mistake letting dad hire him, I've learned now that his mom works with our tax lady as the receptionist. Bottom line don't hire people without any experience. I'm letting dad know this tonight, I called him today and cut him loose. One other thing he's really awkward on the phone and has no emotions when having a conversation. I'm talking about really long pauses and interrupting me while I'm on the phone with other clients and vendors. Has anyone else had someone like this before?
Old 06-24-2012, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgreendude View Post
that was my mistake letting dad hire him, I've learned now that his mom works with our tax lady as the receptionist. Bottom line don't hire people without any experience. I'm letting dad know this tonight, I called him today and cut him loose. One other thing he's really awkward on the phone and has no emotions when having a conversation. I'm talking about really long pauses and interrupting me while I'm on the phone with other clients and vendors. Has anyone else had someone like this before?
This sounds like my guy, he will stop mowing to come join a conversation between me and a client. He also would tell clients that he had 10 years of landscape background but is only 20 years old. He also has to be told over and over not to scalp with a trimmer. I'm glad to be cutting him off come the end of the month.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgreendude View Post
Sounds a lot like Aspergers Syndrome. Google it.

My fiancee's son has it.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:46 AM
Sponsor

Make sure your father never has the chance to hire anyone again. Since it is your company explain that all hires and fires go thru you only. In the future you must
make the time to hire/fire, untill your large enough to have a supervisor for this task.
The employee you mentioned will most likely end up as a ward of the State.
easy-lift guy
Old 06-26-2012, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
This sounds like my guy, he will stop mowing to come join a conversation between me and a client. He also would tell clients that he had 10 years of landscape background but is only 20 years old. He also has to be told over and over not to scalp with a trimmer. I'm glad to be cutting him off come the end of the month.
I would have canned him a long time ago if he didn't learn after being told to keep working. You did tell him, didn't you?

Just out of curiosity from the OP, this guy was trained, right? If your dad hired him, did he also train him to a different level of expectation than yours? Not that it would have made a difference, but just wondering.