Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-22-2012, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Trailer Brake Assemby

I am looking for feedback on brands of trailer brake assemblies. It is now obvious that I am going to havfe to replace them about ever two years.

http://www.amazon.com/10-Electric-Tr.../dp/B001KN7A2W
Old 06-22-2012, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here is another option on Amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/Dexter-Trailer.../dp/B007Z0S9YM
Old 06-22-2012, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I can't imagine you'd need to replace the entire brake assemblies including backing plates, magnets, springs and all every two years.

Are the shoes wearing out or what?
Old 06-22-2012, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNB Construction View Post
I can't imagine you'd need to replace the entire brake assemblies including backing plates, magnets, springs and all every two years.

Are the shoes wearing out or what?
Maybe not every two years....but the one I got now has slop in the actuating mechanism and won't brake fully. The magnet was marginal and the pads are all cracked but have some tread. I already wore the oposite tire down because I didn't pick up on it. If you can get the entire assembly for $35 it is cost effective since the magnet can run almost $20. We got another new trailer and the tires are almost bald after 3 months. Obviously we didn't watch brake setting but it points out how fast you can ruin a tire.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

In that case I'd determine what brand you have and try another. You might want to check out etrailer.com to see what they have to offer.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Guess I am the only one replacing trailer brake assemblies? So is anybody familiar with the AL-Ko Kober assemblies? Since I can get both sides for $69 that is what I am considering.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Iv bought dexter before I had an axle snap where the wheel connects and roll off the trailer luckily all my trailers are twin axles. Any ways the brakes were destroyed when it ripped out so I had to buy new and choose to do all 4 wheels. But I get a lot longer then 2 years off the brakes I have some still working on year 8 and 9. I just had a trailer issue last month an old lady hit one of my trailers and sadly took out the same axle I had already replaced. But we did manage to keep all the brakes and my mechanic was able to adjust them so they all work good as new.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

How much weight is on each axle and how much voltage are you sending back there? Mine have alot of miles on them and work as good as when I first hooked them up.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
How much weight is on each axle and how much voltage are you sending back there? Mine have alot of miles on them and work as good as when I first hooked them up.
This particular one is probably several years old. I have not been tracking this kind of thing but now that we got five trailers a boat and a camper it is getting important. I gage voltage by the setting on the controller. Usually we can't go much over a 2.0 settign before you feel the trailer pulling back o the truck when you stop. On our new trailer we had them set at
2.5 and tires are bald after 3 months. Our loads are not great we haul a couple riding mowers and 21" and trimmers blowers etc.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Is the tire wear even or is it wearing on the inside like the wheels are tilted in. Iv never heard of tire wear like that and I get 2-3 seasons on a set per trailer. Assuming the wheels are level and the axles are good then it sounds like the brakes need to be set lower. I would disregard the number you set it at on the truck and just go by feel its it grabbing gently and helping you stop or is is clamping down and jolting you when you hit them. I have lost tires to bearings failing before but not and entire set just the one wheel so that's not likely to be the cause. Now I know you have posted before on trailer tires and do not buy the good year marathons and at 150 a pop I understand. Still how many ply are your tires and could it be the roads there are all concrete and just eat them.