Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-24-2012, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Puzzled

I've got an issue at a customers house that has me scratching my head. There are 2 zones in a island with grass the 1 zone no problems the other is like a pressure issue all the heads are MP Rotators. I took the valve apart nothing in it and the screen was clean. All the heads just bubble on this zone then slowly come up or not at all. I don't know if there is a pipe that's leaking a little but enough for pressure to drop. The home owner said she had seen this zone up one day and the next time it was just bubbling with some heads up about one inch. Thanks for any help or ideas and have a great week everyone.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

busted riser would be my first guess, busted pipe/fitting next.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Look for trees in the vicinity. Tree roots could be choking the pipe and restricting flow. Or, you could cap off all the heads and look for a leak. All of this is if you have eliminated the valve being the problem.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd try turning on the valve using the bleed screw first to eliminate it being a problem with the diaphragm or solenoid porting. If it opens fully and the zone still does not pop up I would look for a leak/restriction next.
You could remove the MP's and put in standard nozzles, throttle them off to build enough pressure to locate the leak (if that's what it is).
Old 06-25-2012, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkus View Post
You could remove the MP's and put in standard nozzles, throttle them off to build enough pressure to locate the leak (if that's what it is).
Or you could do it this way, the easy way Not sure why I said dig up and cap. Change MPs to VAN nozzles and close off is another way.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would check for a break/leak 1st. I had a similiar situation not long ago and capped off rotors till the leak showed up. Crazy thing was the pipe was not that deep, 6-8" but the way the water was shooting out directed it straight down and I guess the sandy soil was just soaking up the water as fast as it was coming out.

The next thing I would eliminate is the valve. If you cannot be sure the valve is opening up fully here is a trick I use. Make sure you have a new diaphragm for the valve in question. Then cut out the middle part of the diaphragm except for the part that seals the top to the main body. This effectively eliminates the valve as far as restriction. You can also look at the water meter and determine if there is water flowing & approx how much.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
The next thing I would eliminate is the valve. If you cannot be sure the valve is opening up fully here is a trick I use. Make sure you have a new diaphragm for the valve in question. Then cut out the middle part of the diaphragm except for the part that seals the top to the main body. This effectively eliminates the valve as far as restriction. You can also look at the water meter and determine if there is water flowing & approx how much.
You don't need to go to that trouble, you can hear when a valve isn't opening fully.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. We are heading there tomorrow to see if we can find out what's going on with it. We are going to try capping the heads with van's I'm hoping this will show were the leak is.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've had good luck capping the heads and hooking-up our compressor with water in the lines. Air bubbles and a roaring sound will occur where the break(s) are.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
I've had good luck capping the heads and hooking-up our compressor with water in the lines. Air bubbles and a roaring sound will occur where the break(s) are.
Maybe he could call boots? He's got more than enough hot air to go around.