Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-25-2012, 11:12 AM
landscapetastic landscapetastic is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: ny
Posts: 41
Lawn for$50

Am I ripping my self off by charging a customer $50 for 0.77 acres of property the yard is nice and flat.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-25-2012, 11:14 AM
TriCountyLawn's Avatar
TriCountyLawn TriCountyLawn is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 1,519
Maybe , Maybe not
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Dave does lawns Dave does lawns is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by landscapetastic View Post
Am I ripping my self off by charging a customer $50 for 0.77 acres of property the yard is nice and flat.
How quickly can you mow this?
I would charge $50-$200 depending on variables and how bad I wanted the mow. I have on property simular in size, however of about 4500SQ.FT. of it is lawn. Because it much be 21in push mowed, I charge $52.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-25-2012, 12:41 PM
ReddensLawnCare ReddensLawnCare is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave does lawns View Post
How quickly can you mow this?
I would charge $50-$200 depending on variables and how bad I wanted the mow. I have on property simular in size, however of about 4500SQ.FT. of it is lawn. Because it much be 21in push mowed, I charge $52.
Your kidding right? You mow one acre of turf with a 21" for 52?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-25-2012, 02:31 PM
32vld 32vld is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LI NY
Posts: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
Your kidding right? You mow one acre of turf with a 21" for 52?
Posted via Mobile Device
I see nothing wrong with doing a 1 acre lawn with a 21". The customer can't be penalized because the LCO is taking extra time because he does not have a 48"-60" mower.

When you have more hours open then work you take on the jobs as long as they bring money in.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-25-2012, 02:42 PM
Dean of Green's Avatar
Dean of Green Dean of Green is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbia, South Carolina
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
Your kidding right? You mow one acre of turf with a 21" for 52?
Posted via Mobile Device

He said it is 4500 square feet of lawn. Certainly not anywhere near an acre.
One acre is 43,560 sq ft.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-25-2012, 02:54 PM
32vld 32vld is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: LI NY
Posts: 3,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by landscapetastic View Post
Am I ripping my self off by charging a customer $50 for 0.77 acres of property the yard is nice and flat.
How long does it take you?

What size mower?

How much edging, trimming, blowing?

I have a customer where there is more driveway then lawn. Takes more time to blow drive clean then to mow.

What is your minimum rate for minimum size plot?

I get $35 for 1/4 acre $70 1/2 acre.

So I ask you do you get $16.67 for a 1/4 acre, $33.34 for a 1/2 acre, $66.68 for 1 acre?

Then you should be charging $50 for 3/4 acre.

How did you price this job to be $50?

How do you price your other jobs?

I hope Mr .77acre did not use I only paid my last guy $50's so that's all I'm going to pay you.

This spring as I was putting out flyer's and a homeowner say's I have a guy but how much would you charge. I said I have a $35 minimum as I was about to get out of my car to give a quote he said my guy does it for $25. I smiled said I would lose money at that price and drove on. I went a few houses down the street and I met a man I know from my church.

He had been retired the last two years and went back to doing his own lawn work. When I spotted him he was doing his edging, and the three closet houses to him had this one LCO with a large crew knocking out those lawns.

I stopped said surprised to see you live here. Can you take some of my flyer's and help me network some customers. He said sure. He pointed out that that very LCO next door use to do his property two years ago. So I asked him how much did the LCO charge, he answered $35 for his 1/4 acre.

So that just proved that the $25 quote was just a lie to get me to say I'll do it for $20. Not all LCO's are crooks, sometimes it's the homeowners.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-25-2012, 03:04 PM
jrs.landscaping's Avatar
jrs.landscaping jrs.landscaping is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,426
The price sounds fair, but what are you up against with the property? Do you have any pics?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-25-2012, 05:27 PM
ReddensLawnCare ReddensLawnCare is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean of Green View Post
He said it is 4500 square feet of lawn. Certainly not anywhere near an acre.
One acre is 43,560 sq ft.
I was doing that on my cell, and apparently the edit didnt go through. I thought it said 45000sf, I tried to correct it but it did not go through. My bad
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Dave does lawns Dave does lawns is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
Your kidding right? You mow one acre of turf with a 21" for 52?
Posted via Mobile Device
LOL I will mow 2 acres for $53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
I see nothing wrong with doing a 1 acre lawn with a 21". The customer can't be penalized because the LCO is taking extra time because he does not have a 48"-60" mower.

When you have more hours open then work you take on the jobs as long as they bring money in.
I disagree, If all I have is a 21in, then you better believe I will ask you for what its worth to cut your lawn.

I do not believe the OP said anything about a 21in, It was me that said my customer requires me to use a 21in, and yes the property in 1 acre but only 4500 SQ.FT. of lawn.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:45 PM.

Page generated in 0.08150 seconds with 7 queries