Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-25-2012, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Chem questions on vinyl soft washing

Just bought a house that needs washed. I just bought a Ridgid washer as suggested by multiple people.

Do you guys mix up your own (dish soap, bleach, etc) - if so what ratio's?

Or

Do you buy a soft washing chem from somewhere? If so, can you get it from a big box store. I'm not really looking to mail order something for a once a year job.

I'm also looking to low pressure do the roof. Again, suggestions on getting chemicals. Reading through most of these posts is pretty cryptic. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Don't all reply at once!
Old 06-26-2012, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Ive done jobs with and without chemicals, sometimes you need them sometimes you dont. If it was me I would try first without a cleaner an then if needed get a cleaner. If you do need a cleaner I would suggest a general purpose cleaner or something specificly made for awnings but a general pourpose should work. I would use whats in the link below. I have used it on many surfaces as long as its listed on the bottle.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

Theres a another brand called Zep sold at homedepot that has several good cleaners for pressure washing. They have some for decks, siding, driveways, pretty much one for everyhing.

Last edited by nolatoolguy; 06-26-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Member

What I use for most surfaces is 1 pint of Simple Green and 1 pint of Clorox outdoor bleach mixed with 3/4 gallon of water. That gives a good mix of sudsing/clinging/smell and so far has been totally safe on all surfaces/plants/grass based on years of using it. Foam it on, let it sit 3-4 mins and rinse with high volume and low pressure. Let the detergents do the work when possible, especially on vinyl, aluminum and wood.

Don't worry about using bleach in your PW as it has downstream injection. Be sure to run clean water through the pump, hose, gun after you're done for the day and it should be fine. The only issue I've ever had from using bleach based cleaners (and this is nitpicking) is the injector ball will occasionally develop a film on it and it can cause the ball to stick closed, not allowing it to siphon. I simply remove the ball/spring, polish the ball and it's all good again.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Do a search for pressuretek.com more info on that website for vinyl washing than you could ever imagine. I had to wash my house,(2 story with 12 foot retaining wall) with what i believe was called the x jet, it was kinda spendy but works wonderful. My washer is a skid mount 5 gpm at 5500 psi and wet steam if wanted and the x jet has a screw on nozzle that will fan out like 60 degrees to drop pressure to very minimal and no chemical is drawn through the pump or pushed through the hose it pulls the chemical in at the tip at high or low pressure.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Member

here's a couple of sites; http://www.pressuretek.com/index.html
http://www.propowerwash.com/board/upload/forum.php
Use the search tool helped me!