Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-03-2003, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

?on tarket mktg of new homes

Trying to broatden my residential customer base. Having fair success with referrals and local classified 12 month ad but I want to do more.
Have you ever targeted new homeowners(after just moving in) and what has been your experience? We have a ton of new construction in my area. I realize in many cases the mickey mouse "landscape pkg" has already been sold when the contract for the home was finalized...but thought targeting these still might be at least somewhat more productive long term than mass marketing to exisiting neighborhoods. I do maintenance as well as landscape installs and fert. Thanks much
Old 01-03-2003, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Soliciting new home owners care be effective as long as you keep their perspective in mind. They're already stressed because they're spending a lot of money, chances are they've already gone over budget and are behind schedule, they're thinking about changing schools for the kids, opening new bank accounts, trying to get the utilities set-up. You get the picture.

Your marketing should be low key, maybe a tip sheet on how to keep their newly installed landscaping looking good. New lawn grow-in tips etc. Regardless of how "cookie-cutter" it may look, be sure to compliment them on their choice of material. Chances are, they've had some input on the layout.

Once you've established contact with them. Offer to come back later in the season when things have grown a bit to see if they are having any problems or offer to do a free analysis. Try an establish yourself as their personal lawn care consultant. When their ready to switch or sign-up a service, they'll remember you.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

TurfMktg...very good perspective...thanks
Old 01-03-2003, 11:01 AM

I agree. New home owners have quite a bit to focus on. We take the approach that we can eliminate some of their burden. As with any other form of marketing and advertising, it is all in the approach. The other point we make is to welcome them to the community and make it clear we are the community's choice when it comes to lawn & landscape service needs. It's a great way to get a head start to developing a long-term relationship.
Old 01-06-2003, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wish I had kept the source data for validity.. Read not too long ago that more money is spent on a house within the first 6 months than the next 5 years combined.