Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-03-2003, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cost of goods II

I've done a small search and found out some cost of goods info. Fusalade II-.75oz per gal covers 1000 sq ft. At $64.95 a quart it works out to $1.52 per gallon or .75 per ounce. Surflan-3oz per 2 gal covers 1000 sq ft. At $299.00 per 2.5 gal it works out to $2.80 per 1000 sq ft. These are just cost of goods. Does anyone have a database of items like this? The price is variable I know, but if we had the other data we could plug the price in and have an accurate database of cost of goods to project estimates with. I'm posting here because this forum is the one dealing with chemicals. I know it's a back office post but, I feel like it will get more exposure here.
Old 01-03-2003, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ok one is a premerge seed killer with a 60 day residual the other is a post emerge grass killer with a 7 day residual.

Oranges Vs Apples???

But that is not you question. Excell is a great program to do what you want to do. Set it up with High and low rates for each products including fertilizer. Also have it work off the current price plus tax. When the price changes and it does you can up date by pluging in the new price only. I add 10 to 15% for overage on the final estimate.

My question is Why haven't you done this already. I see so many post here about pricing. The only way you can estimate is to know your cost. Cost plus overhead plus a fair wage and a Fair profit% is the only way to price.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-04-2003, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Apples vs oranges? They were just EXAMPLES of PRODUCTS to be included in a database. Why haven't I done this already? Because I haven't been illegally applying them. I just passed the test in november. I know what computer database programs are out there. I just wanted to know if someone already had the base numbers minus the prices. Otherwise, I'm going to have to look at a lot of labels to do this. I don't mind, I just thought I'd use this site for what it was created for, asking for help.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tony

Spend the time looking at those Labels. Read them cover-to-cover. An oz of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Years ago one of my chem salesman gave me a cost per K spread sheet. He made it, with out including sales tax. He also did it at low rates. He had some math errors. Double-check your math.

Point here is doing your own. You will learn allot. Compare it with some one else’s to be sure you are right.

First time do it on paper. When you are sure you have it right you can make a spreadsheet in excel. If you set it up right each time a price changes you only have enter that price an excel does the rest.

Don't forget to do fertilizer also

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.