Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2012, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyst1 View Post
A friend of mine design websites, i did pull text for 4 of my services online. Gonna write them now. How do i enhance SEO?
To enhance SEO, take a look through this forum and you'll find it mentioned in every site review post. Earlier today I linked to a few resources in this post: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=382044

There are quite a few problems with the page coding as well, but that's something for you and your friend to decide if you want to remedy. Issues with validation errors in the code, and really long load times (4.7 seconds for the home page) can negatively impact your search rank.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A big issue with the long load time on the home page is that you (or your designers) used a FULL size image (ie, came from your camera, 2592x1944 pixels, over 1meg) image on the home page that was not properly resized (down to display size of 388x291, which when I just saved out a copy properly resized, it was only 68k (0.068megs))

See http://gtmetrix.com/reports/dreaming...g.com/sdiUSRCd and on that report go to "TimeLine" tab to see how things load.

And wow, just realized, same thing for the header image, it is actually larger than you are displaying it, which again will needlessly increase load.

On the gallery page, again, for the thumbnails, each of those is the full size image, instead of a proper thumbnail. And when you click on each of them you get a 404 error.

Being that it was designed by an actual web development company, the fact that there is no validation on the form is pretty bad. You probably just got 2-3 emails from me just clicking submit on the forms without actually filling them out (and just a hint, using capcha is not the answer. IMO that is a last resort step to stopping a form from being abused)

Lastly, yeah, the code behind the site is broken, not in terms of something minor, but a major thing like trying to use <table> tags outside of the <body> tags, using < title > (dang forum forced the spaces LOL) tags in the <body>, and a few others. While that will be greek to you, your web developer will (well should) get what this means and how big of a problem it is!

To be honest I had seen them listed as the developer on some other sites when I worked for a web development firm in North Canton (right beside the airport), but ouch the code!! just goes to show you can still have something that on the outside looks good, but isn't designed right. (which can mean no guarantee how it will display in all browsers, including future ones, as well as taking longer to render because the browser has to guess at what the bad code is supposed to do, especially on mobile devices).

Sorry to have to knock your friend so bad, but as a fellow developer, I have high expectation from web development companies, especially when they tag a site that they did it. It isn't anything that can't be fixed though, so once it is fixed (things I mentioned and others did), i think it will be a very nice nice site.

Some tools that should be checked on every site (and page on it) before launching:
  • Validate HTML http://validator.w3.org
  • Check for broken links with something line Xenu Link Sleuth (free)
  • Check Spelling (and also does links) with something like InSpyder InSite (not free, but for a development company, worth having for the little cost)
  • Use a tool like http://www.domaintools.com/seo-browser/ to see what the site will look like to search engines
  • SEO feature checkings, such as SEO Quake toolbar (use the "Diagnose" to see suggestions), in the seo-browser above, click on the (i) icon in top left for suggestions, another FF plugin SE Doctor.

-Greg
Old 06-27-2012, 03:33 AM
LawnSite Member

The over all package is wonderful. Now get every single potential customer in your area to see it. With your site being top notch, you will get a high conversion rate. Lots of nice photos. Maybe add videos and name your photos
Old 06-27-2012, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The big picture on top, shorten it to logo size like on this page. Takes up too much valuable space.

Other than that its a nice site.
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2012, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys, i have my web designer looking into the code issues as we speak. I really appreciate the info. Stay turned for the improved version.

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 06-29-2012, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I see he did modify some things, the huge home page image is still not to the size they are displayed at, but but a lot closer which is a big improvement.

If you go run a new report off of that one link I sent you, you will see it is better now, when you go to the timeline it NOW doesn't show a 1meg photo being downloaded like what it actually WAS doing. (on that link in my post, it is a capture of the report I ran that day, so if you go to it, and click on timeline, you can see where it was loading http://www.dreamingtreelandscaping.com/img/mainpage.jpg which it reports is over 1meg and took 2.3 seconds of your total 2.86 seconds for a page load.

So that is a huge great improvement, definitely steps in the right direction.

-Greg
Old 08-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Sponsor

I like the logo you have designed.

I wanted to take a look at the website but it looks like you just put up a landing page with your logo for the time being. Let me know when you have it back up and going.