Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-04-2012, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

some guys(myself included) figure an appropriate hourly rate and then add cost of materials.

example-my hourly rate is $25/hr

say the cost of a plant is $100 and i estimate it will take me 1 hour to do the job...the total bill would be $125...
Old 07-05-2012, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-lc View Post
some guys(myself included) figure an appropriate hourly rate and then add cost of materials.

say the cost of a plant is $100 and i estimate it will take me 1 hour to do the job...the total bill would be $125...
Do you get paid to pick up the trees? what about the cost to drive there? after fuel, drive time to get the tree payroll/payroll taxes you've got a net loss doing it like that.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Member

So if you are lucky you take home 2.50 per hour. You don't have anything in there for insurance, taxes, covering a warranty. That is a terrible rate to charge. Do more research and figure you cost to do business. Take some business classes. S-lc, you will not last long in this business unless you do so
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Moderator, Online Communities

just wanted to post a quick reminder about our Tree Services community located at www.treeservicessite.com - may also want to post your questions, etc. there

thanks
Old 07-11-2012, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsyscapes View Post
30 gallon 8-10 ft they are 195 a pop including tax. 585 installed with one year warrenty x 10, they are going to be spread out 25 feet apart. 5850 total to put in 10 of them.

if i did 10 ft hvy b&b 1102.5 per tree installed.

installed price includse mulch soil amdendments extra.

let me know what you all think, not asking for your prices, just seeing if that sounds right.
I hope your customer isn't old. He may have a heart attack if you give em that price. That's just too high. Does your nursery guy guarantee the trees? If so than you won't need to add much extra for that in your price.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The price the nursery gave is in the ball park.
2 1/2 times to 3 times the cost wholesale is average.
That covers picking out the trees, delivery of the trees, installation, and warranty.

Most new trees die from improper planting practices.To minimize the replacements you should review the information in the site below.

http://www.treesaregood.com/treecare/tree_planting.aspx

Good Luck
Old 09-12-2012, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Three times material sounds fair to me.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-lc View Post

This guy must be joking or actually lives in a tent.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
30 gallon 8-10 ft they are 195 a pop including tax. 585 installed with one year warrenty x 10, they are going to be spread out 25 feet apart. 5850 total to put in 10 of them.

let me know what you all think, not asking for your prices, just seeing if that sounds right.
Is that your wholesale price for a 8-10'? Seems high to me, but you are in a different market than me. I think you are spot on with your price with a guarantee. Some guys I know take the retail price and double it plus 20% installed and that covers everything. I try to use the rule of 1/3 materials, 1/3 labor, but will manipulate each bid based on the jobsite. Conditions to consider... equipment? accessibility, soil conditions, travel, etc. If I have to carry 10 trees to the back of a property... that's gonna cost more in labor. If I can get the plants closer, then that will be reflected in the cost. We used to use a price sheet for each size of tree and shrub, but quit using that several years ago. Basically just job cost things so we are staying around the 30-40% cost in materials. That gives us plenty of room for play for our profit margin.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

i usually do double the price then add sales tax to that price and present it to the customer.....but 2-3x the plant or tree price is normal. i've done over 5000 in plantings in a 6hr time period including going to get mulch 30 mins away.