Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-29-2012, 05:54 AM

98 here yesterday. Supposed to be 104 today as the heat spreads East. A few days of this will surely zap the grass. Hopefully there will still be weeds to cut every few weeks. No relief in site until the end of next week. Yea it is Summer, but some Summers are sure hotter and drier than others. Since 2006, we have had Extreme heat and drier than normal type Summers. Just a long term costly$ cycle of misery. I really love Summer, but last Summer, I was glad to see Fall roll in. Stayed 96+ from May until the end and drier than normal
Old 06-29-2012, 06:06 AM
Sponsor

You could always get a job as a weather forecaster?, they only report the weather not actually work outside for a living. They are the real " smarmy know-it-alls". I just call it as I see and feel it. I hope you get your rain.
easy-lift guy
Old 06-29-2012, 06:26 AM

I wouldn't mind the extreme heat IF the grass kept growing. Back 10 years ago the heat was negated by afternoon thunderstorms. Not anymore in SC. Afternoon thunderstorms are rare these days in the Summer. Very different from typical Florida Summers where afternoon showers still happen
I love for it to get hot for the effect on the competition that can't stand the heat. But nobody is helped by dormant grass. A few days of 96+ and no rain will cause warm season grasses to go dormant.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Okay now. This coming winter I don't hear anybody say "What global warming". Global warming signals wild swings in the weather. In the winter of 2010/2011 we had the coldest weather in 100 years. Now we are seeing thousands of record high temperatures. These are wild swings.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I worked 9 hours solo yesterday. I don't have any more work scheduled until next Tuesday.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:06 AM

I think the weather is just a lot more complicated than we can imagine. Just so many factors. Some are man made and many are not related to anything we do or animals do. A big world where you have long term and short term cycles and patterns. You have heating and cooling of the Oceans called El nino and La Nina. You have long term and short term versions of those events. Then you have Sun cycles and Solar storms. Airplane contrails can effect the weather too. The normal Earths cycle of climate change.
No matter what though, polluting the Earth and the atmosphere is not a good thing
Old 06-29-2012, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944own View Post
over 100 today. Skipped 5 yards today. Forget about weekly's
I here ya. I'm not even going to run my Friday route. I happened to be near a couple accounts 2 days ago. They are green but haven't grown but a inch if that. I'm not about to set foot on them. I called the customers and they thanked me for being so honest and caring about their lawn. One lawn really should be cut but I KNOW it will go brown if I do. She even said it doesn't look good all scragglie but I convinced her after pointing out that her lawn right now is the greenest lawn on her block. All the other homeowners cut their lawns and they all are a light light green going to a brown color already. She agreed to just not let her OCD get to her and leave it go until we get a shower or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
We've got ticks on our catfish again.
Stan, that made me spit coffee. LOL Yeah it's 10:30 in the morning and I'm on my first cup since I got to sleep in. but to read that, "it's so hot we got ticks on our catfish again" is funny chit.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

we had the weekly lawn list finished by 11:15AM this morning. I'm grabbing a case of beer and floating down the river in my tube with some buddies.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
We only hit 100 here in Cincy. I'm glad I finished the shingles on my covered patio job on Wednesday. I saw a lot of poor bstards up on roofs yesterday, though.
I was in Mason, OH the other day, which is basically a suburb of Cincy and man it is dry and hot out near you. Looks like the landscaping seen out there is very prominent. Lots and lots of stripes, and large neighborhoods too.

It was 100 here today. Sucks, no rain either lawns are getting really brown. It's supposed to do this in august, not late June, or early July! This season has really sucked.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Member

It hit 98 degrees here in metro Detroit yesterday around 4-ish.
Stihl HS 56C
Troy bilt Backpack blower 32cc
Echo ES-1000 hand blower (not currently working)
Assorted hand tools

Have 8 accounts (+1 vacationer) and continue to grow.