Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2014, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Scag 60 inch walkbehind blade removal problems

First off, I am new to lawnsite. I have a 60 inch scag walkbehind (about ten-fifteen years old, I bought if off a guy for 100 bucks and got it running). Model and serial are difficult to read, Model: SWZ 20CVE Serial: 26470387. That is the best that I can read it, some more details, it has a Kohler engine model CV20S. It is electric start and hydrostatic drive.

The problem that I have run into is in getting the blades off. This may be unneeded, but the way the blade retaining system works is there is a rod that goes from the bottom of the deck through the blade and pulley system. The blade side of the rod has a 15/16ths end with a washer before the blade, and it is solid all the way up through the pulley, above the pulley there is about five metal washers with a threaded end where 15/16ths bolt goes, that holds it all together.

Now my problem, because this mower was old and not used very much by its previous owner, the rods were rusted all the way through the deck, I got two of them out using a hammer to bang them through ( doing this i messed up the threads, my plan is to go to fastenall and try to match them.) The third one was rusted solid. I tried for a couple hours to hit it through with the hammer, doing this I bent it some. So I took a grinder and ground the bent portion of the shaft that was sticking up above the pulley ( my rationalization was that it was not going to go through because it was a tight fit and the shaft was bent).

So now I have about a quarter of an inch of shaft sticking up above pulley. It is still rusted so that I cannot get it out to get the last blade off.

What I have tried: half a can of wd 40
hammering it
heating it, but i was a little worried about heating it too much becuase I did not try to take off the pulley assembly so I did not want to melt the belt

my next idea is to get a pulley puller and try to use that to get it off from the underside of the deck

does anybody have any better ideas than me?

thank you for the help
Old 03-25-2014, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can try to use an impact ans just "spin" the bolt to break it free. You can use an air hammer. You can cut the head of the bolt off from underneath and try hitting it from underneath. Fyi wd-40. Is not a good penetrent
Those bolts might be proprietary to scag. I havent been able to find any by me. But I'm sure someone else might have had better luck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2014, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you done more damage than good. Anytime you pound on the threaded end of a bolt to break it free, you should have the nut threaded on to prevent mushrooming the bolt. WD40 is next to worthless for freeing up rusted parts. Get a can of Kroil and spray the bolt down, then use an impact on the blade side of the bolt. It will break loose guaranteed.

Heating will do no good. You need to heat the housing the bolt is in to get it to expand and you are unable to do this. Heating the bolt only will cause it to expand and add to the problem.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 03-25-2014, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselss View Post
You can try to use an impact ans just "spin" the bolt to break it free. You can use an air hammer. You can cut the head of the bolt off from underneath and try hitting it from underneath. Fyi wd-40. Is not a good penetrent
Those bolts might be proprietary to scag. I havent been able to find any by me. But I'm sure someone else might have had better luck
Posted via Mobile Device
Ok thanks I will try that and use pb blaster. As for the bolts, I was afraid that they may be something that you can only buy from scag, I guess I will check fastenall just in case.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2014, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have tried to get them aftermarket, and have never had any luck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2014, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah. Pb'laster is the way to go. It probably wouldn't be very hard to drop the whole spindle and get better access to the problem. That way you can see if you can remove bits and pieces to get better access to whats frozen. Check the bearings for wobble too, they don't like being hammered on.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Member

ok thanks I will check that too tonight
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2014, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Remove pulley, remove spindle, and try to get bolt out.

Most likely buying a new spindle and blade bolt is the way to resolve the issue.

Use antiseize on the bolt shaft in the future.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2014, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You're buying a spindle at minimum. Probably a pulley, also, because it will have to be destroyed to remove it off the shaft. You could just replace the bearings off the spindle. but if you need to replace the bearings, and the shaft, then just buy the spindle.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

you can buy the spindle bolt in grade 8 at any hardware store.