Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-29-2012, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Problems with Super Sod? Weedy emerald zoysia...

This season, we've installed 69 pallets of emerald zoysia purchased from Super Sod. We noticed when installing the sod that there were weeds... After establishment watering, I'm now faced with horrific amounts of weeds that make me look bad!

On one of the jobs, we had 2 full pallets not last a week and had to replace...It was not the water, because it was only specific rolls of grass placed next to each other.

We installed 52 pallets purchased from NG Turf, and don't have the weed problem and no mortality.

I'm not sure if its just an emerald zoysia thing, or if Super Sod let their guard down this year....Not sure if I'll be buying from them again, although I demanded a 2 pallet credit on my next order.

Lawns are full of purple sedge and crabgrass; some rolls even have bermuda in them. It's going to be a costly long road for chemical treating these lawns.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 07-06-2012, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Super-Sod wants to make this right

This is Mike Darsey from Super-Sod, I manage our Marietta and Forest Park locations. I'm here to help and make this right; please contact me so that Super-Sod can work out correcting this problem with the Emerald Zoysia. I want you and your customer to be happy. Best way to reach me is in Forest Park: 404-363-1932
Old 07-06-2012, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's been a while, but I bought a pallet of fescue from them about 7-8 years ago from the Marietta/Canton Rd. location and didn't have any weed problems with it.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont think they fumigate their fields which is really expensive. Some other farms do, but the price is 50% more per pallet.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

my problem with super sod is that they had a VERY uneven cut with our 32 pallets of emerald we ordered, they survived and grew in healthy however i now have to sand the yard for the next 2-3 years before it is level for a reel mower. Not to mention i rolled the lawn 15+ times

try royal zoysia from sod father off of I-16, we have had wonderful results and the price is way below super sod. Royal is an off-brand of zeon and does very well in shade.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 07-11-2012, 06:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've had sedges and cg in most Bermuda I have purchased. I think with the prices going up on everything they are not able to treat correctly to keep prices down. The last zoysia I got from supersod was pretty clean...definitely no Bermuda in it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2012, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyslawncare View Post
This season, we've installed 69 pallets of emerald zoysia purchased from Super Sod. We noticed when installing the sod that there were weeds... After establishment watering, I'm now faced with horrific amounts of weeds that make me look bad!

On one of the jobs, we had 2 full pallets not last a week and had to replace...It was not the water, because it was only specific rolls of grass placed next to each other.

We installed 52 pallets purchased from NG Turf, and don't have the weed problem and no mortality.

I'm not sure if its just an emerald zoysia thing, or if Super Sod let their guard down this year....Not sure if I'll be buying from them again, although I demanded a 2 pallet credit on my next order.

Lawns are full of purple sedge and crabgrass; some rolls even have bermuda in them. It's going to be a costly long road for chemical treating these lawns.
Andy, have you ever been to a sod farm and watched as they harvest sod? It's possible, but highly unlikely that you got 2 pallets of "bad sod".Why didn't you cull the weedy pieces of sod and call in a complaint to super sod?
Old 07-11-2012, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think the biggest complaint sounds like the soil on the sod was inconsistant which makes for a unlevel lawn.

Most weed issues stem more from the distubances of the native soil combined with high watering to establish roots. That is my experiance.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have seen sod pieces 2" thick on one end to zero inches in the other side...just depends on the cutter and how level the turf farm is.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2012, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasssales2001 View Post
Andy, have you ever been to a sod farm and watched as they harvest sod? It's possible, but highly unlikely that you got 2 pallets of "bad sod".Why didn't you cull the weedy pieces of sod and call in a complaint to super sod?
When zoysia is reel cut, it is hard to see the weeds when you install it especially bermuda and nutsedge.