Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-04-2012, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
I don't know what they use on turf, but this is what they say about tree fert they use:
http://www.davey.com/ask-the-expert/...green-pro.aspx
If there were more potassium and more iron added to that fertilizer, it would be great for turf. But it would also be tough to spray. Not a clear liquid. UF is chalky and hard to keep in suspension.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-05-2012, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Much of the N is in the form of micronized UF. This is very slow release, intending to provide N over the entire growing season. Warning, this stuff is hard to mix and apply. It is a powder that does not like to stay in suspension. I once thought about getting some straight micronized UF, but thought better of it when I learned about how hard it is to handle. You need a spray rig with vigorous mechanical agitation. Think the old John Bean spray rigs with the duplex piston pumps and the mechanical agitation shaft running off of the engine with a pulley.
so you are saying it is insoluble and required the bacterial to break it down to make it available?

I have never really heard of the micronized UP and google foo seems weak today
Old 07-05-2012, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Much of the N is in the form of micronized UF. This is very slow release, intending to provide N over the entire growing season. Warning, this stuff is hard to mix and apply. It is a powder that does not like to stay in suspension. I once thought about getting some straight micronized UF, but thought better of it when I learned about how hard it is to handle. You need a spray rig with vigorous mechanical agitation. Think the old John Bean spray rigs with the duplex piston pumps and the mechanical agitation shaft running off of the engine with a pulley.
I spoke with a JDL rep Yesterday and he told me to look into getting one of their lesco sprayers with Jet agitation?
Old 07-05-2012, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgreendude View Post
I spoke with a JDL rep Yesterday and he told me to look into getting one of their lesco sprayers with Jet agitation?
Jet is what I have, not the same as mechanical.

I have a diaphragm pump, not the same as a piston pump.

I kind of understand what Green Doctor is saying, you are pumping micro particulates in suspension which is abrasive and settles. I would like more info on these specific recommendations.

I am sure Lesco has fine sprayers but shop around.

When he says UF, I keep thinking of Uflexx.

Urea-formaldehyde is what he is saying me thinks

Last edited by Duekster; 07-05-2012 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
so you are saying it is insoluble and required the bacterial to break it down to make it available?

I have never really heard of the micronized UP and google foo seems weak today
Yes. The other name for this is Nitroform. Urea formaldehyde powder is water insoluble and can take over a season to be utilized if the particles are the size of a normal granule.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Jet is what I have, not the same as mechanical.

I have a diaphragm pump, not the same as a piston pump.

I kind of understand what Green Doctor is saying, you are pumping micro particulates in suspension which is abrasive and settles. I would like more info on these specific recommendations.

I am sure Lesco has fine sprayers but shop around.

When he says UF, I keep thinking of Uflexx.

Urea-formaldehyde is what he is saying me thinks
I have the standard D30 with a jet agitator in the tank. I would not trust it with 25 lb of insoluble material in the mix.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Growth Products states their methylene urea will last up to 6 months when injected. That is satisfactory to me for a tree.

I am very happy with the PHC product for trees. I get good lasting responce and the trees are drought resistant too.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah, Dr Green I remember spraying Powder Blue' while at TruGreen,. It was a type of ureaform ground to a fine (insoluble ) powder. It needed paddle agitation. But at times is was so insoluble--there was no noticable green effect. Plugged filters at times. Their salesman must have bought our buyer a couple double martini's. It left a chalky white residue on fences and walks.

Scotts has used methylene urea for years. Non-burning, can release slow or fast depending on the size of the long chain molecule.

Good stuff, but be sure you understand how to use it. Needs bacteria--so works slow in cold weather.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use a little urea triazone liquid to extend the effect of my AS based fertilizers. No Powder Blue. I rather use more predictable materials. Even coated granules are not predictable enough for me.

I read the best use of UF is to incorporate a year's worth of N into the soil and use some soluble N to hold the grass over until the UF starts releasing. Do that and one feeding can last a long time.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I could see a UF Feeding in April to last through the summer ( thinking lawns too here)
Then using a light AS feeding in April May and June, Bios and Micros only in the Summer. Another dose of AS in Sept then winter feed with K in October.

I used the AMMO's with methylene urea http://www.growthproducts.com/pdfs/T...mos_22-0-0.pdf

I was not too impressed with the color.