Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-14-2014, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Massive Yellow jackets nest

So out back of one of our properties there was a large nest in the ground, about a month ago I hit it and got stung 17 times. So today I went back there to flag the area, and not only did the nest grow, they built on top of the hole and above ground too, the whole thing just is bad. Property manager doesn't seem to care when I told them about it and possible danger.

So any ways of getting rid of this nest? I'm not paying to have it removed, but I do got a couple redneck friends, good ol boys that are willing and brave enough to help. Haha I know this sounds crazy but I want revenge!!! Any advice???
Old 10-14-2014, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Leave it be. Unless you want to be stung much more than 17 more times.

Doesn't matter what kind of equipment you run as long as you get the job done correctly and up to par.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

They generally won't fly after dark. Dust the hole and any above ground parts with most any powdered insecticide.
Orthene works well. The buggers will die in a few days. Will need to reapply if it gets wet.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

As a CPO I have a Bee Suit and even wear a sweat shirt under it. I also have a Power sprayer and a fast knock down Insecticide. I am sure a profession in your area has similar equipment and can control what would be a dangerous situation for you or your buddies. BTW ground hornets are not hard to kill. Africanized Bee are hard to kill. However Ice water with insecticide works best at controlling bees

Under Fla. Law: single and dual family homes the renter is liable for pest control unless agreed upon in the lease. Any multi family unit 3 units or larger, Pest Control is legally the responsibility of the owner.

I am assuming you are between a rock and a hard spot. If you complain too hard the Management company might drop you. If you don't complain hard enough you might be get hurt. One way you might get around the problem is by getting a resident to complain for you. BTW Morgan & Morgan would have a ball if you got stung and couldn't work.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflower View Post
They generally won't fly after dark. Dust the hole and any above ground parts with most any powdered insecticide.
Orthene works well. The buggers will die in a few days. Will need to reapply if it gets wet.
Even at night, there are always a few guards waiting around the entrance. Be careful, and do not stand between the entrance and any light sources, or you may be stung while trying to apply dust (do not shine a flashlight directly at the entrance either). You can get your bearings quickly with a red light.

If you're not allergic, and are reasonably careful and quick about it, you don't have much to worry about though. If you are allergic (though I didn't read about you being hospitalized after 17 stings), then remember that even a bee suit does not guarantee 100% protection (though if you're dealing with something like africanized bees, it may still save your life, and thick clothing under the suit can make a big difference too as Ric pointed out).

I too prefer powdered insecticide. I use Sevin. Just remember that powdered insecticide is slow acting. It may take a few days to see a big reduction in activity, and a week before everything inside the nest is totally dead.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A premixed pyrethrin hose end sprayer on a garden hose at night would be a Homeowner method of controlling Yellow Jackets. Of Course a Homeowner can do it legally on his own property. So don't you dare not do it.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 10-15-2014, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks guys for the advice. Now the more that I think of it, I'm probably just gonna steer clear of these guys and send a letter explaining that we are not maintaining the surrounding area till issue is resolved. Nest is in back and in wooded area that is kept kinda natural anyways.

I will try and get a picture tomorrow when we're out there.

How can you tell if you are allergic? I got real swollen up and mild fever after getting stung all over, but my guys made me take a shot of tequila when we got to the shop and I ate some crazy hot pepper then passed out. I was fine the next day, just itchy all over.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Anaphylactic shock isn't going to be cured with tequila and peppers. Thank god your not allergic, you'd be dead getting that kind of advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
Thanks guys for the advice. Now the more that I think of it, I'm probably just gonna steer clear of these guys and send a letter explaining that we are not maintaining the surrounding area till issue is resolved. Nest is in back and in wooded area that is kept kinda natural anyways.

How can you tell if you are allergic? I got real swollen up and mild fever after getting stung all over, but my guys made me take a shot of tequila when we got to the shop and I ate some crazy hot pepper then passed out. I was fine the next day, just itchy all over.

"When you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can always count on Paul's vote"
Old 10-15-2014, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post

Next time you get stung by a bee or Fire Ant, apply ammonia to the sting. I like Parsons sudsing ammonia because the detergent cause the ammonia to stay wet longer. It works two ways. First it helps suck the poison out. Then it also works on the molecular structure of the poison to negate it's effects. Ammonia will stop the sting pain and also the itch. You will still get a red pusla but no pain. The quicker you apply ammonia the better.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Next time you get stung by a bee or Fire Ant, apply ammonia to the sting. I like Parsons sudsing ammonia because the detergent cause the ammonia to stay wet longer. It works two ways. First it helps suck the poison out. Then it also works on the molecular structure of the poison to negate it's effects. Ammonia will stop the sting pain and also the itch. You will still get a red pusla but no pain. The quicker you apply ammonia the better.

Thanks for this good information.