Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-30-2012, 07:21 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,782
I've used Atrimmec for years. Primarily on Viburnum and Holly. Saves a ton of man hours this time of year. Label is spot on for app rate. Beware bounce back if you miss a dose. Yes you will notice more density. Clippings usually disappear when the mulch gets fluffed. Never had a complaint. Its more like green confetti than long clippings.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Landscape Poet's Avatar
Landscape Poet Landscape Poet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oviedo/Orlando
Posts: 3,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
I've used Atrimmec for years. Primarily on Viburnum and Holly. Saves a ton of man hours this time of year. Label is spot on for app rate. Beware bounce back if you miss a dose. Yes you will notice more density. Clippings usually disappear when the mulch gets fluffed. Never had a complaint. Its more like green confetti than long clippings.
Posted via Mobile Device
So in your experiance, Viburnum, do you experience 3 months or more of controlled growth? Are you allowing a bounce back period or applying again within a targeted time frame to keep them consistently easy to maintain?

Any Experience with Ligustrum and Eugenia ?
__________________
"the art of survival is a story that never ends"

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
I have only used Cutless which controls over all growth. I think the one you are talking about controls vertical growth and promote horizontal growth. I think Green Dr alluded to this as well. I have never used it.

Those vines are a PITA and you have to find them and cut then at the ground. If possible pull them but that is not always so easy. Even without a PGR they will cause grief.

I think you can leave some clipping blown back under the shrubs but the lion share should be removed. Clippings can cup water and promote mesquites too.

We can dump them and better yet take them to a mulching facility offered by many land-field operations.
I do get tired to pay for stuff to be mulched and paying to buy the mulch but such is life.

Nothing should go down the storm drains. It is against the federal law. While it maybe common practice, you do not want to be the guy that makes the headlines when the government decides to send a message. Clients also want to seen as greener. If you want to shred and mulch then that is another program.

Some times it takes a few applications for the PGR's to kick in. I hit myown shrubs and they did not grow much for 18 months. They do work but it varies by plant type and app rate. Clip and treat per the lable, often they should happen at the same time or within 10 days.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-30-2012, 08:13 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
So in your experiance, Viburnum, do you experience 3 months or more of controlled growth? Are you allowing a bounce back period or applying again within a targeted time frame to keep them consistently easy to maintain?

Any Experience with Ligustrum and Eugenia ?
3 months is about right. Tried it on Ligustrums with good results too. Just keep the app even. No idea on the Eugenia. I've had some Viburnum that haven't been majorly trimmed in 3 years. Waiting a week after trimming before applying eliminates any yellowing or browning.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-30-2012, 08:53 PM
Landscape Poet's Avatar
Landscape Poet Landscape Poet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oviedo/Orlando
Posts: 3,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
3 months is about right. Tried it on Ligustrums with good results too. Just keep the app even. No idea on the Eugenia. I've had some Viburnum that haven't been majorly trimmed in 3 years. Waiting a week after trimming before applying eliminates any yellowing or browning.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the info. The Rep told me it is best to treat right after they have been trimmed. The label say dependent on look desired formal or natural that you can wait up to three days. This is the type of advice I was looking for - real life tried and true experience.

Thanks for all that have had input up to this and I would appreciate any additional inputs from those that have used (good or bad) but as for now it is sounding like a win/win situation.
__________________
"the art of survival is a story that never ends"

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-30-2012, 10:52 PM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Thanks for the info. The Rep told me it is best to treat right after they have been trimmed. The label say dependent on look desired formal or natural that you can wait up to three days. This is the type of advice I was looking for - real life tried and true experience.

Thanks for all that have had input up to this and I would appreciate any additional inputs from those that have used (good or bad) but as for now it is sounding like a win/win situation.
FWIW, cutless is a granular so the yellowing is not an issue.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Landscape Poet's Avatar
Landscape Poet Landscape Poet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oviedo/Orlando
Posts: 3,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
FWIW, cutless is a granular so the yellowing is not an issue.
A granular would be a good approach but I am comfortable with the liquid as I do a good amount of fert and pest control on the shrubs and liquids is my primary method because I can ensure a good micro blend is being added.

Would you happen to have rough estimates on our cost per say every 100 square foot of shrubs with the cutless?
__________________
"the art of survival is a story that never ends"

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-30-2012, 11:28 PM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
A granular would be a good approach but I am comfortable with the liquid as I do a good amount of fert and pest control on the shrubs and liquids is my primary method because I can ensure a good micro blend is being added.

Would you happen to have rough estimates on our cost per say every 100 square foot of shrubs with the cutless?
I spray everything except cutless.

I will have to look up my cost in the AM
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-01-2012, 02:39 AM
greendoctor greendoctor is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 7,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
I can agree with disposal from your explanation. If it was not commonly accepted to leave for the homeowner to dispose of on their yard waste day here, a lco would incur great cost with waste produced in a given week from the cost of actually having enough space to hold all the debris, the time to dispose of it as well as the cost.

My thoughts with the redirected growth is that it maybe helpful to many of these shrubs, for example the older viburnum, which have been kept small and formal for many many years, all the leaves are on the outside two inches at most, if growth is redirected to create a more dense shrub I can not imagine that being a bad thing.
The homeowners here have zero tolerance for any debris left in the landscape. If you tell them that leaving clippings under the shrubs is good for them, they will think you are too lazy to clean them up and they will find someone who will pick up everything. Same is true of grass clippings. Because of this, there is no such thing as a cheap lawn and if the lawn is 1/4 acre or more then the price does not come down due to size because of then need to pick up. Where it gets funny are the properties where they are chock full of palms and shrubs. You actually do not want that kind of account because people do not realize how bulky and hard to handle the trash is. Now if there were a safe way to stunt palm trees, I would be very happy. I hate palms. Do not like to see them in residential landscapes at all.
__________________
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin 1775

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
A granular would be a good approach but I am comfortable with the liquid as I do a good amount of fert and pest control on the shrubs and liquids is my primary method because I can ensure a good micro blend is being added.

Would you happen to have rough estimates on our cost per say every 100 square foot of shrubs with the cutless?
As a follow up.

again dose depends on plant height mass and how woody. More woody means more product.

Non-woody about $3 per 100 sf
Woody about $5.00 per 100 sf.

You need to trim within a few days of application and will likely need a couple of dose before you see a major change. From there light touch up twice a year should do it.

Sounds higher than your product
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:30 PM.

Page generated in 0.07061 seconds with 7 queries