Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-07-2009, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Member

21' users: Do you go clockwise or counter?

I've been using Snapper 21" for as long as I've worked. My mowers are old - if that matters today - so they have the "drive mechanism" or thumb drive (if you have a sense of humor) on the right side of the handlebar. Years ago, it occurred to me that by going in a counter clockwise position was most efficient because the left hand never had to leave the bar.

Over the years, especially when mowing the meeting of the turf with the payment, it seems that clockwise tends to cut the grass differently due to the direction the blade spins. Maybe I'm wrong and of course will stipulate that a flat lawn meeting a flat service is different than a curved lawn meeting a flat pavement, but still, I feel cutting counter-clockwise is less hard on the grass closest to the curb/walkway/driveway/etc., than cutting clockwise. So...

For those using 21" mowers, do you find that one method is harder on the lawns' edges than the other or not? Also, do you find, especially if using mulching blades, that less grass is left to deal with doing one way or the other?

For what it's worth, I'm predominately right handed and feel I have more control over the mower - especially on any kind of slope - than I would if I were mowing clockwise. Further, virtually all my lawns are St. Augustine, so maybe if the type of grass matters, you now know.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I am a bit confused as to what you are referring to as cutting clockwise vrs counterclockwise? I first cut the perimeter of the lawn clockwise or counterclockwise depending on which direction I did it the last time as everyone should know that it is healthier for the lawn to change your cutting directions each visit. Then I cut through the middle from one side to the next and come back and forth til the lawn is all cut. The next week when I cut across the middle, I do the cut criss-cross from the previous week, again so as to not cut the lawn the same direction all the time for reasons that you can google if you like. Mulching with the HRC216 with the blades sharpened a certain way does not make any difference which way I cut as nothing is ever left behind.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

dude, you're WWWAAAAAAYYYYYY over-thinking this....

My Pictures:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302091
Old 12-07-2009, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRi24 View Post
dude, you're WWWAAAAAAYYYYYY over-thinking this....
My thoughts exactly! I'm fairly intelligent, but I don't think I have the extra brain cells to spend time thinking about things like this.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Put the mulching blade on and cut cw.......the reason is the unit will drop a little bit of cuttings on the right side and you can pick that up on the
next round.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Put the mulching blade on and cut cw.......the reason is the unit will drop a little bit of cuttings on the right side and you can pick that up on the
next round.
Yeah, on micro small yards with a narrow gate (the only ones I use a 21 on) I always go CW.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

when i mow, i always go clockwise around the perimeter for two reasons. first my mower has a hinged cover on the right side of the deck and i almost broke it on several occasions. and second, the deck tends to suck up leaves and trimmer clippings better on that side, otherwise they tend to get blown aside. i alternate the mowing pattern but never the perimeter pass. i guess i never thought about that.
-honda platinum lawnboy
-19 inch gold lawnboy
-stihl
fs 55 trimmer
bg 65 blower vac
fc 75 edger
mm 55 tiller
ms 180 chainsaw
hs 45 hedge trimmer
-mclane edger
-parker 35 vacuum
-toro powerlite snow thrower
-craftsman 20in two stage thrower
Old 12-07-2009, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My right side sucks up better than the left side so I go counter clock wise, same with the ZTR too!
Old 12-07-2009, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i just cut. and blow the clippings in to the yard or bag them
Old 12-07-2009, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutz Lawns View Post
My right side sucks up better than the left side so I go counter clock wise, same with the ZTR too!
Let's see.....blades go CW on most of my machines except Cougar so what kind of unit do you have