Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-03-2003, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

local rags

I was just looking forsome advice on placing an add in one of the local smaller newspapers (Thrifty Nickle). Is it even worth it?
Old 01-03-2003, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

My friend put an ad in won of those small papers. He said that the new business he got , more than paid for the ad.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 01-04-2003, 06:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have gotten new customers from ads in the thrifty nickle, but other people have said that you will only get price shoppers from it. I had trouble stopping my ad a couple of years ago. I had to go to the office and raise heck, as a phone call wasn't enough, they kept the ad in, billing me. Also, they put in another ad, like mine, but words transposed, sorta upset me that the writer of the ad couldn't make up his own ad copy. Haven't used them since, though I just might this year. Radio ads of car dealers seem to copy each other, so I guess it's true, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. But when I saw my ad, words transposed, with someone elses name....
I told them, if he wanted to run MY ad, he could have it.

When I lived up north, I used to put ads in a little local paper, free at the grocery store, about 8 pages, it worked real well, until the paper grew, and so did the prices of advertising. If someone picks up those li'l 8-pagers, they generally read all the way through them. Business-card sized ad, leave it in. Name recognition is what you are after.
Crawdad
Old 01-04-2003, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One point of my spring marketing plan is to put a business card sized ad in our local small town paper. It comes out weekly. $50 for 4 issues. This paper is delivered free at new subdivisions for 2-3 years...then they put an insert in saying this is your last free issue, please call to subscribe. Most don't, but at least you have exposure to newly constructed areas.
Old 01-04-2003, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The problem I had with those kinds of papers, is that calls would come in from too wide of an area. I don't like to travel 45 mins. to do one job.
Old 01-05-2003, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crawdad
I have gotten new customers from ads in the thrifty nickle, but other people have said that you will only get price shoppers from it. I had trouble stopping my ad a couple of years ago. I had to go to the office and raise heck, as a phone call wasn't enough, they kept the ad in, billing me. Also, they put in another ad, like mine, but words transposed, sorta upset me that the writer of the ad couldn't make up his own ad copy. Haven't used them since, though I just might this year. Radio ads of car dealers seem to copy each other, so I guess it's true, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. But when I saw my ad, words transposed, with someone elses name....
I told them, if he wanted to run MY ad, he could have it.

Crawdad
I had the same thing happen this year! One week I didn't put my ad in, and someone at work showed me the paper and asked if I had changed my phone number. The ad was some kid and it was almost the exact same ad. Don't know how he did, cause the ad wasn't seen again since.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Member

If you never ever have a go at advertising you will never,never Know if it will work for you
Old 01-07-2003, 05:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Crawdad is right on. ...You will howeverw get a few tire kickers....but of all the forms of advertising I've tried, this works the best for my small biz...yes they cover a wide area ....more than you want for your biz, but rarely has this been a problem. I note my business location in the ad.
As said above......the first thing you are doing here is creating NAME RECOGNITION month in and month out...just yesterday I got 2 calls ...one for a snow contract and the other for grounds maintenance year round...make your ad stand out however...there was another post recently and in it was mentioned that just putting "Joes Mow&Go" in there with 50 other "joes" line ads isn't going to get it done. I'm only in the 2nd year and I have found it worth the cost....mine is allot more than $50 per month....but its always paid for itself many times over....like said above....if you dont try it you'll never know...just be forewarned you will get some weird calls....just work thru them with a list of specific questions and then skim the creme off the top