Register free!

Old 07-01-2012, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
There is a place up in northern Sumter, Lake and Marion county called "the Villages." I have known people who have worked there over the years. I hear it is a very difficult place to make a living cutting grass. You have to do huge volumes because the rates are so low. It sounds like where you live is worse.
The villages is filled with retirees that still think everything should cost a nickel and come with all the trimmings because "that's how our generation did it".
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2012, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaViper View Post
I would if I could. I like taking care of things. I like working. I just don't like the pay and lack of financial security it seems to lack here. We shall see.

Yes I've seen his car lot in PG.... :-) I have 5 accounts in PG. It seems like there would be more accounts in PG than North Port but I get most of my calls from NP.
Which Car lot in PG?? He has 3 there and 2 in PC. Plus he has a Auto Repair shops in both PG & PC.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Which Car lot in PG?? He has 3 there and 2 in PC. Plus he has a Auto Repair shops in both PG & PC.

Not sure. I have one on Monaco Dr. and one on Almar Dr. And I think it's right there somewhere next to the Goodyear tire shop.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
The villages is filled with retirees that still think everything should cost a nickel and come with all the trimmings because "that's how our generation did it".

They're playing everyone for suckers. I'm mowing for a lot of people who at least as old or older than most of the Village People and understand perfectly that the cost of living is not cheap. I feel the Villagers' attitude is "I got mine...and I'm keeping it! Bring on the slave labor!"
Old 07-01-2012, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Then they deserve to have their lawns scalped and weed control to be done with RoundUp. You get what you pay for.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-01-2012, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida's Suncoast Lawn Care View Post
Ya I've been selling cars and such for 20 years on the side. I should have stuck to that here. But we spent all our capital buying this house plus investing in the lawn business. So tempting to sell it off and get back into making $500-$1500 a crack on cars. I always work on them for something usually. Sometimes I don't have to do a thing to make $500 other than wipe a car out. If I put half of the effort into car sales that I do in lawns and maintaining equipment I could make more than I ever have.

That's why i say "i don't see how people are making it..." How can they run a business, all this overhead, gas, mowers, trimmers, vehicle, hard dirty work, get hit all day with debris, work on equipment, buy parts, sharpen blades and oil changes. And even come near making $40k a year. I would be happy with $20k a year at this point. I just don't see it.
99% of the people who are "making it" were positioned prior to the economic downturn. I would rather enter and win a dog crap eating contest than try and start a new business in this industry, in this area, in this economy. Diamond, hoa are absolute nightmares. I like doctors offices and medical complexes. They want quality work and I bend over backwards to make them happy. One thing I do is lots of weekend work so as not to inconvenience elderly patients with loud smelly machines (and workers ) lots of people won't sacrifice weekends but for secure accounts who pay well I have to admit besides vacations, during the growing season I have worked every weekend for the past nine year or so.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
99% of the people who are "making it" were positioned prior to the economic downturn. I would rather enter and win a dog crap eating contest than try and start a new business in this industry, in this area, in this economy. Diamond, hoa are absolute nightmares. I like doctors offices and medical complexes. They want quality work and I bend over backwards to make them happy. One thing I do is lots of weekend work so as not to inconvenience elderly patients with loud smelly machines (and workers ) lots of people won't sacrifice weekends but for secure accounts who pay well I have to admit besides vacations, during the growing season I have worked every weekend for the past nine year or so.
That's the one commercial account I have. It's a doctors office complex. I do it dirt cheap a basically the price of two regular lawns. But at least i have a year contract with them.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-landscapes View Post
Ok, so that seems like the norm around Florida regarding HOA. I mean, it seems like guys lose money on them. There are some high end hoas here that I'm sure pay good, but 98% pay dirt. Saturday is a workday in my book, especially during summer. I actually don't mind working sat and like you said when it's for a great customer, I'm happy to.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-01-2012, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida's Suncoast Lawn Care View Post
Not sure. I have one on Monaco Dr. and one on Almar Dr. And I think it's right there somewhere next to the Goodyear tire shop.
Drive the road behind Goodyear. Gorman has a body/mechanic shop behind Goodyear. His first car lot is in front facing 41. He has an other car Lot near the PG Police station and one more south of PG.

North of the River in PC he has the old Good Year tire store and Mechanic shop with a Car lot in front. about a block aways is an other Car Lot.

Back when Gorman only had one car lot, My son was on the High School Wrestling team with Chad Gorman who is now a Doctor. I tried to buy a car for my son from Gorman and was offered the special screw job for wrestling team mates. I passed on that deal.

BTW I don't cut grass. I am strictly a Fert & Squirt and inside Pest Control guy now. Juan's landscaping is my old company. Juan was my superintended and bought me out after Hurricane Charlie Blew away my Nursery. (Now Jones Nursery on 17 in Cleveland). I was also sued over my company name by the Lawn Doctor Franchise out of New Jerky. Therefore Juan had to change names.

Back to the main point. From What I am hearing, You don't belong in Yard work. I am not trying to be cruel, just factual. Life is too short to not enjoy what you are doing and it sounds like you are very disappointed in what you are doing now.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Ok, so that seems like the norm around Florida regarding HOA. I mean, it seems like guys lose money on them. There are some high end hoas here that I'm sure pay good, but 98% pay dirt. Saturday is a workday in my book, especially during summer. I actually don't mind working sat and like you said when it's for a great customer, I'm happy to.
Posted via Mobile Device
Had a nice hoa I took care of for years. New manager came in and I was out for his buddies company from Sanford (three hours away). Homeowners were complaining about the new company even said they traded steaks for hamburgers when they got rid of us. Manager got fired and they asked me to come back, even added about a hundred home lots...........if I would drop my price 1000 a month! Told them cheap doesn't get steaks and call another hamburger maker.