Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-01-2012, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Trimmer selection

I just found this site and it looks like there is a lot of knowlege on here. I'm needing help picking out a trimmer. I currently have a Poulan Pro and Craftsman 31cc. both with split shafts, pretty much same trimmer, different color. The PP is pretty much done for and Craftsman (3yrs old) is still going but I'm wanting to upgrade. I have 10 acres and will be using it for timming, cutting tall grass/woody brush, prunning and cutting small trees too. The trimmers I have seemed strong enough they just don't seem to last.

My question is, what is the best trimmer out there that will use the attachments I already have? I haven't checked the Echo yet to see if they fit but but the Echo is only 22cc. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 07-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Sponsor

I would recommend perhaps the Stihl combi system. You can secure various attachments
with the power drive and it sounds like a good fit. This same set up compliments my product very well. www.easyliftharness.com. All the best
easy-lift guy
Old 07-01-2012, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

About how much trimming are we looking at here? Maybe break it down to how many hours a week. Also what is your budget. You are in for a real treat by getting a new commercial trimmer, just the weight factor alone is worth the money. I believe the Echo's with the attachments are the PAS series, (Pro Attachment series) but I am not sure what else will bolt up to it. The PAS 266 would be a model to look at. I am also not sure about the Sthil trimmers and the accesories, but the FS100RX would be my pick. I myself have been thinking about buying a new trimmer and I am looking at the FS100RX or FS110.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 07-01-2012, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, I guess I use it about a couple times a week, but when I do it's usually stuff that is 1.5-2ft tall brushy grass. So not a lot of volume but when i use it, it is pretty demanding. I already have a few trimmer head attachments, brush cutter, pole saw, cultivator, hedge trimmer, blower, edger. So I'd really like to get a unit that will use those attachments. I'm not wanting to buy a unit that I would have to buy new attachments for it. I originally looked at Stihl a few years back but the it was a little to much money at the time. The Echo I think was a 225. If I could fing a stong unit that would take the attachments I'm sure Id be willing to spend $250.