Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-01-2012, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings of Green LLC View Post
The mulch that was put down is not typical landscaping much it it is up to 6 inches in length and up to 1/2 thick it looks just like it came out of a tree service shredder. What was expected was a smaller finer grey colored mulch. The question I'm asking is not what much is made of but how to remove this amount of much without doing it all with a shovel. I'm thinking about using a dingo .
Posted via Mobile Device
Hmm... A dingo might work, depending on how close the plants are together. I would probably just do it by hand. I would use a pitch fork to get the bulk of it up, then use a shovel. You probably don't need to worry about making it look super clean since it's going to be covered with a new mulch. 80 sq feet is relatively small, so I would think two people could get it done by hand within an hour. One person should be able to do it in two by hand.

Correction: I just saw that you think it is bigger than 80. Either way, I would still do it with a pitch fork then shovel. I would throw it in a wheel barrow and dump it in the trailer. With 2 people and 2 wheel barrows it wouldn't be too bad.

www.kglawnandlandscape.com
Old 07-01-2012, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

do it by hand. You are only talking like 2 maybe 3 yards of mulch (80 sq/ft at 8" deep). Pitch forks and scoop shovels. If you can get your truck right next to area you'll be even better. If not, scoop the mulch into wheelbarrows then ramp it into your truck. You are looking at like an hour worth of work, maybe slightly more.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings of Green LLC View Post
I'll measure it tomorrow it must be bigger than 80
Posted via Mobile Device
post pics so all see the size and thecolor of the mulch

80sf isnt much pitch fork and wheelbarrel from start to reinstall 1-1.5 hrs

either way if its bigger area then you said pitch fork is the tool you need
What are going do with a dingo
Old 07-01-2012, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
80sq ft I would have done it with a rake pitch fork and been done with it in less than 30 minutes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep, all the time posting questions about how to remove it, and he could of had it done.

Rake, shovel, and a wheelbarrow. Maybe rent a dingo to load it into a truck. But even then if you had a trailer with a gate, you could just wheel the barrow up onto the trailer and dump it.

If you try to use a dingo to remove it, you'll tear just about everything up causing even more damage than what's been done already.

Now, if you were to ask how to remove 6 tons of rock, then I'd say use a dingo only if you are renovating and not trying to save any plants.

And to just point out, I myself have removed over 40 tons of rock by hand in my career, and yes the customer paid for it.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Shredded mulch is easy enouth to cover over with whatever color/texture he wants... the underlayer previous to the shredded is probably decomposing at a reasonable rate and have created a great environment for the roots of trees and shrubs... so even if you do decide to remove the new stuff, you'll be wise to leave the old behind...
Old 07-02-2012, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
80sq ft I would have done it with a rake pitch fork and been done with it in less than 30 minutes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ditto!

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 07-02-2012, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe a leaf vac if you have one.

I know what mulch you're talking about and it's ugly. Although I've never seen grey mulch
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-02-2012, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Shovel, hard rake mabee? Ive done alot more than that by hand.. Load it up in wheel borrows and into a trailer.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Shredded mulch is easy enouth to cover over with whatever color/texture he wants... the underlayer previous to the shredded is probably decomposing at a reasonable rate and have created a great environment for the roots of trees and shrubs... so even if you do decide to remove the new stuff, you'll be wise to leave the old behind...
Sounds like he still needs to get the big crud out first though.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

okay guys i went over and looked at the site today it was 800 square ft i know big difference!!! his email said 80 but meant 800. anyway pitchfork and shovel?