Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-19-2012, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Super Z - Mulching kit

Anyone have any experience with the Super Z mulching kit? That is, does it leave lines, stragglers, does it work well? Any info would be great. I'm looking for something to mulch some leaves more than anything.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had 2 Super Z's, one a 52" the other a 60" and they both had the mulch kit with blowout shield installed from day one. If you have just a single layer of leaves on the turf they'll become invisible with one pass. Weekly mowing should give you good results. If you let them pile up till they're 6 " deep then you'll have to go over them several times. If they're wet you'll have to go slower. I always used the wavy mulcher blades but if you don't have any just try using regular lift blades first and see how they do. Do not use high lift blades or you'll only go about 10 feet before leaving cow patties behind.
http://www.klawns.com
Old 11-19-2012, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info, especially on the highlift blades. I'm running doubles right now, but I can drop back to just the gators. Thanks for taking time to answer.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was using the mulch kit for a couple months, found it did an excellent job on thick grass providing it wasnt overgrown. Also made a leafy lawn very neat as though had a catcher on. However when I had stringy weeds or longer thiner grass, I found it leaving un cut grass behind me which woudl need a second pass. I assume that is the blades, I dont get that with the non mulch blades and side discharge.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks. I found that with just my side discharge and a gator blade I had a lot of stragglers. With the standard high-lift blades I got a great cut with no stragglers, but it obviously doesn't mulch. I have run double blades, gators over high-lift, and I get a better mulch with no stragglers, but obviously not a true mulch. I think that I'll go get the mulch kit and see how it works.