Register free!

Old 07-03-2012, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Okay, well I will sharpen my blade and mow higher and I already do water early in the morning (i think my sprinklers go start at 5am)...

But can you tell me what is wrong with that fertilizer? Id like to know what to look for next time I buy something for the backyard.

Also, if it does have some kind of fungus, what is the best stuff to get for it?
Old 07-03-2012, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Member

What variety is it? Palmetto, Raleigh, or Texas Common?
Old 07-03-2012, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

What is the Sq. footage of your back yard and how much fertilizer did you apply? Its hard to tell from the pics, but it does look like you have some grey leaf spot too.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Member

id say the area of grass is about 1000 sq feet. and I just kinda scooped my hand and hand spread a little around. Id say I used about 1/3 to 1/2 of the bag.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Member

as far as the type of grass, im not really sure? I like in DFW area of texas and just bought some sod at my local Lowes.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Zooks. I see brown fungus lesions. Call a pro. At least get local advice. I don't think the garden store peple have proper training and experience in this sort of thing.

And yes, strive for a cleaner cut. And do not cut when wet. I think I am seeing leaf blades that are cut (poorly) and then the fungus invades the cut surface and works its way down the leaf blade. A common problem when grass is cut when moist or too humid.
And do not cut off too much at one time--only remove and inch or two.

The one runner and secondary spring of Bermuda appears to be doing fine.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 07-03-2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: added
Old 07-03-2012, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickleylawncare View Post
The ugly, jagged edges are from a dull blade, it tears the grass instead of cutting it. St Augustine should be mowed at the lowest 3.5. (There are a few types that go lower) 4" is much healthier even higher if its in a shady spot. Repeatedly mowing low will thin out the lawn, and make a weak root system.
Not to mention crabgrass city.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2012, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Just a guess as we are dealing with something on the internet....but as other have said ...blades, cutting height etc.

One thing that I have learned is that SA will yellow like that if your have received too much water or applied too much - which would explain the addition of the Grey leaf that appears present but also applying a foliar spray of Mg and Mn often brings the color back in these spots here.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 07-03-2012, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Just a guess as we are dealing with something on the internet....but as other have said ...blades, cutting height etc.

One thing that I have learned is that SA will yellow like that if your have received too much water or applied too much - which would explain the addition of the Grey leaf that appears present but also applying a foliar spray of Mg and Mn often brings the color back in these spots here.
A dose of the Lesco micro blend would do wonders as well as a weeks break from the mower while you get some new blades. We had that problem here with TS Debbie taking the green right out of the SA. Look up choloric grass condition.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-04-2012, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
A dose of the Lesco micro blend would do wonders as well as a weeks break from the mower while you get some new blades. We had that problem here with TS Debbie taking the green right out of the SA. Look up choloric grass condition.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, The Lesco blend that he is talking about is called Iron Plus. I contains 20% Fe as well a good blend of all the other micro's. Greens the heck out of lawns that are missing these. I would think this would be your bet to give a try or a bag of Tech-Mag.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!