Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-01-2012, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

2of the 3 blades are intermitrly hitting?

This has me baffled? I can see that the middle blade and the discharge side blade have hit randomly. At least I think as both have jagged chewed metal on edge. There is a loud metal type 'bang' about every 10-20 seconds while blades are running. The manual calls for (3) 21" blades, so I assume it is a true 21". My discharge blade is 21" as well as other side and middle is 20 1/2 inches. The middle looks to be slightly differant but extremly close to same. Any Ideas why those two blades would hit? They dont when I turn by hand..in fact must not hit except every 30-50 revolutions as it's about 15 seconds or so between noise. No cracksa anywhere I can see or any broken baffle welds..Is it possible these are in time? confused and frusterated, just not sure which more of. Thank you- Gene P.S. 61" GD chariot sr
Old 09-01-2012, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You've answered your own question...get another 20 1/2 in blade...
The blades are hitting themselves as the belt cycles their positions to each other while they spin..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-01-2012, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks Piston slapper..

I'll do that..but what I don't understand is mower calls for 21"..and the middle blade don't hit the other end one..but that one is a true 21" as is the discharge side? I should mention, When I got the mower the discharge side pulley was wobbling so that might have caused the damage to the blades. The pulley is a splined shaft that goes through the spindle..and the blade bolt goes through it. The splined pulley shaft was loose even though blade bolt was tight..So..I'm kind of just now wondering since the nut was loose maybe splines are wore and it's jumping teeth? ANYWAY..Got lots to check I guess. I'm going to try the blades on the ends and leave center off and see if noise returns..if so then might be that spindle that had loose pulley has a problem. Gene (All else checks out ok..I'll just get blades and forget it)
Old 09-01-2012, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Gene..what size blades are reccomended? 21...
Remember..measure diagonally..blade tip to tip..
Lengthwise won't give you an accurate size...
Wouldn't hurt to inspect the spindle bearings in question.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-01-2012, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks..I deidn't know (not surprising)

I didn't know it was measured that way..Then I bet I got one 'right' blade and other two wrong size. I'm suppose to have 21"..but I waws measuring across face. I got a list a mile long on how previous owner (s) butchered this mower to keep it running. I am finally getting it back to what it should be. FYI..I did try that with blade on each end..and worked fine long as middle blade is left out. So it must be wrong blades (as you said)..
Old 09-01-2012, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowisme View Post
I didn't know it was measured that way..Then I bet I got one 'right' blade and other two wrong size. I'm suppose to have 21"..but I waws measuring across face. I got a list a mile long on how previous owner (s) butchered this mower to keep it running. I am finally getting it back to what it should be. FYI..I did try that with blade on each end..and worked fine long as middle blade is left out. So it must be wrong blades (as you said)..
On the other side of the coin I have found that Stens blades are undersize. Wondering why our new vride was leaving some straglers and when the scag blade set was on no problem.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Check your spindle housing. It might be slightky bent to one side. This will also cause blades to hit.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 09-01-2012, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
On the other side of the coin I have found that Stens blades are undersize. Wondering why our new vride was leaving some straglers and when the scag blade set was on no problem.
Why I hate Gator blades they and shorter then factory blades
Old 09-02-2012, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I took all three blades off late last night. spindles look and feel good. I have Scag blades on the two outer spindles (Scag 482879) and the center is a Oregon blade (800 66)..far as I can tell all are 21" or slightly less. Something isn't right here as they should be fine as GD chariot sr calls for 21" blades. I think I better drop the deck and get it out to have a better look..just so blasted heavy! (but thats probably a good thing)
Old 09-02-2012, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Take a good look at the baffles under the deck..
Blades might be hitting a loose baffle...
Install the blades...moving them by hand..see how close they get to each other.
Posted via Mobile Device