Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-04-2012, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not enough pressure

I was talking with my chemical/fert guy and he was telling me about a new box that learns and has better accurate watering. Then I was discussing with him about my sprinklers and that I can only run 3 to four heads a zone and that it is taking hours to run a full 10 zone cycle. He then said I can dig a new well with a pump in the ground and I could get better coverage and run more heads per zone. I am curious if there is anything I can do to my existing well to get more pressure so I can run 6 to 8 heads at a time. Can I add a larger pump or some kind of better valves?? Also my pump runs the entire time the sprinklers are on, I am sure that cannot be good for the pump. Any advice.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 07-04-2012, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You do not want your pump cycling on and off. Running continuously is better. Deal with what you have or spend big bucks on a new well,pump and tank. What is so great about Amsoil?
Old 07-05-2012, 07:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritation View Post
You do not want your pump cycling on and off. Running continuously is better. Deal with what you have or spend big bucks on a new well,pump and tank. What is so great about Amsoil?
Amsoil is a better oil IMO. However I have been running Motul in my sons competition bikes. He races motocross and I find on the engine tear downs that Amsoil and Motul both leave the engines clean, virtually spotless. I do find that Motul seems to run a little better in the bike. At 40:1 with the motul the bike runs perfect. I don't have to play with the jetting and almost zero plug fouling. Also running Amsoil Saber in the handhelds at 80:1, they all run great, no smoke and no carbon build up, no issues.

Back on topic, I am trying to understand why digging a new well would be any different than the one I have?
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Old 07-05-2012, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

a new box that learns what?

Do you know what type of recharge your well has. Pump likely was sized for the house but then again it could be limited by the well water availability to recharge.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
a new box that learns what?

Do you know what type of recharge your well has. Pump likely was sized for the house but then again it could be limited by the well water availability to recharge.
The box collects data and stores it, it is some form of a computer. It is supposed to cut down on water usage. I really was not paying attention so I did not get a name of the box and the whole story. He said he could install it for me for around $300 bucks. From the way he was explaining it, I thought he was going to tell me a thousand bucks, so again that is why I really did not pay to much attention. I will talk to him and get the name of the box.

To the well, I do not know the recharge. I had a well guy come out a couple of years ago because I thought the well might be drying up, but he said I was fine, all is good.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90

Last edited by Capemay Eagle; 07-05-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When you know the recharge rate of the well, you can proceed. Until then, you plan nothing.

The numbers are supposed to be filed with the state, on account of their interest in the complete water-supply picture.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Member

another option is to get 5000-10000 gallon holding tank and pump from that if the recovery rate its not sufficient
Old 07-05-2012, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Make sure the screen is not fouled before spending a lot of money. We have a lot of lime and iron in our sprinkler wells, sometimes the screens get fouled.

Why do you have a pressure tank on your irrigation well, is it a demand sustem?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-05-2012, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would be more inclined to put in a fancy septic system for the irrigation than I would be to drill a new well and make changes to a system on my drinking water supply.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
Make sure the screen is not fouled before spending a lot of money. We have a lot of lime and iron in our sprinkler wells, sometimes the screens get fouled.

Why do you have a pressure tank on your irrigation well, is it a demand sustem?
Posted via Mobile Device
Actually I switched from a 7 gal to a 20 gallon about two years ago on a suggestion from a plumber. I have to admit, I am not a plumber and I really do not know much in the way of wells and how they work. I really cannot answer about if the pressure tank is code or not. Where would I find the screen?
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90