Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-04-2003, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

ride on spreader sprayer

I just started in the green lawn business last spring. I think I did
everything right. Bought all new equipment, got licienced for pesticides, advertized, and so on. This year one of my purchases I want to do is buy a ride on spreader sprayer. Can you guys give me the pros and cons of owning one of these? Is this a good peice of equipment? Thanks ahead of time guys!

Rick, A - Z Lawn Care
Old 01-04-2003, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Rick
I asked a question about these a few weeks ago and alot of people responded with some good info. I think the thread is still active in the pesticides forum. just look back a bit.

Sounds like a realy good machine.

Paul Arens
Columbus, NE
Old 01-07-2003, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Member

ride on spreaders

Trophy,

The ride on spreaders are a good investment. The major one out there is the Perma-Green. Lesco sells them. Make sure you have enough big areas to warrant purchasing one.
They can increase production upto 20-25%.
Less fatigue to you.
Can spread and spray at the same time.

Only downfall is they aren't well suited for lawns smaller than 7,000 sq.ft. You can do it as long as the lawn is fairly open, but it may be just as quick to use a push spreader.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In one word, YES....

Let me give you some real life figures..

Today my guy went out and applied 1000.00 worth of fertilizer.

I pay him on a commission basis. The way I figure his pay for the day is I take the total amount of that days application. Then I divide that by $75.00. That's what I feel that can be done in one hours time. Then I take that figure to come up with the hours and pay $14.00 per hour for my applicators.(13.33 hours x $14.00 = $186.66)

So today in just over 7 hours the guy made $186.66.(right at half the time) My cost of goods were $215.00. I figure $10.00 per day for gas. I am able to put just at $575.00 towards other expenses and profit.

I will payoff the PG this next week. I bought it in late summer and only used it on the Fall broadleaf control and Fall fertilizer. The fertilizer applications is where you can really make up for lost time as well as the fatigue factor!!!!!

:blush: :blush: :blush:

MARK DOUGLAS
Old 01-07-2003, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

are there ANY negative aspects to the Perma Green spreader? It looks to be among my next investments.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is fussy on hills.

And watch going down hills it is front heavy when full and will fall fwd if you hit something wrong.

The breaks are horrable.

They are on the velke you ride on and will not stop the machine if you had to going down hill.

Going straight up hill the tires slip and make the machine bounce.

It is a straight fwd machine and does a great job, but you have to learn it well before you try to push it's limits.

I will be trying the Z-Spray next or will have my own stand up ride on build by them
Old 01-08-2003, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Member

new spreader

They have a new spreader out this year a ride on altra. It's supposed to address a lot of the problems with the old model. they got rid of the hydrolic brakes and put on manual ones changed the hopper on the spreader to a wesco and the linkage is different for metering the granulars making it easier to calibrate amoung other changes.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks Mike,

I was researching last night and saw you had a lot of praise for the Z-spray. How come you went with the PG?

Has anyone used/owned the PG Ultra? Thats what Im interested in
Old 01-08-2003, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Perma Green had free financing, and set me up a sweet deal on the price to make the kicker.

And on top of that I have 100 hours to decide how well I like the machine to get 110% of my money back.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Our company has 2 Perma green units. They are a good fertilizer spreader but have a very limited spray system. They also lack reliability. I think we could build 2 more with all the parts we have purchased. This year we bought a small Z-Spray machine. The two units are not even comparable. The Z-Spray is far more reliable, user friendly, and actually has a spray system. For the money, it is well worth it.
Good luck.