Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-28-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Growing and need help

So I have been doing lawns for about 7 years now,5 as a side gig 2 full time, and I am trying to grow into larger residential and commercial properties. I have never really had to figure out how much ground my mower can cover in a certain amount of time as residential properties around here are all between 30-40 dollars. Anyway I want to buy a 60" zero turn for a few properties I have had my eye on if I get them. So long story short how the heck do I figure out how much ground I can cover with that size, or any size for that matter, mower so I can attempt to bid on some of these properties? Your help is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-28-2012, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You can time yourself, and most manuf's will state how many acres per hr their machine cuts. I wouldn't recommend a 60" anyway go with a 52" that way you can still use it on your med properties as well as your larger ones, hard to get a 60" on most med sized res's and they will scalp a lot easier as well. I'm in the same boat, I need to grow as well already got another mower on order for next year it's a 52" I also have a 40" that works great on small to med stuff the 52" will be for med to larger stuff and if need be throw the 40" in there as well.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SullysAllSeasons View Post
So I have been doing lawns for about 7 years now,5 as a side gig 2 full time, and I am trying to grow into larger residential and commercial properties. I have never really had to figure out how much ground my mower can cover in a certain amount of time as residential properties around here are all between 30-40 dollars. Anyway I want to buy a 60" zero turn for a few properties I have had my eye on if I get them. So long story short how the heck do I figure out how much ground I can cover with that size, or any size for that matter, mower so I can attempt to bid on some of these properties? Your help is appreciated. Thanks!
Here is a Link to SCAG's website where they tell you how much you can mow in an 8 hour day with their mowers. It gives you the list of all their mowers capabilities.

http://www.scag.com/productivity.html
Old 10-02-2012, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

IMHO I never go by the specs from the company. They never figure for ground conditions, operator skill level or overlap. I figure around 80% of the value they give, and on some properties even that is high.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Member

I kind of figured the manufacturer specs would be a little high and understand that those other factors go in to a bid. What I'm wondering I guess is how much time should you figure in for things like trees, signs, landscapes ect that I will have to mow around and then trim, say like 2-3 min per? I mean you have to slow down to go around them, then walk over there and trim. Also for hills, you have to figure there will be more time consumed, what is that? 10%? 20%? I have been a crew leader for two good sized companies working over the past 6 years and decided to start my own business but no body ever really taught me the bid process. Any thing else that may help is appreciated
Old 10-02-2012, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You also would have to remember, that some residential lawns, aren't ztr friendly... I mean cant turn around without hitting flower bed, so that would increase your tpa (time per account)

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 10-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Sponsor

Growing and need help

Once you figure out how long it take a per sq foot you can enter all of this pricing into our system to give instant online quotes or instant emailed quotes. Go too Acculawncare.com and AcculawnSystems.com to learn more.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Sponsor

Growing and need help

Furthermore, we are offering this system to only one LCO per area. So once an LCO signs up for the area we will not be able to offer this technology to any other LCO in that area. Check out to see if your area is available by going to acculawnsystems.com and reserve your spot today.