Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-23-2012, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Guess how much i paid for this JOHN DEERE 400

Well guys,sorry i havent been on here much, i have been roaming but havent really had time to post anything.
I have been busy as hell with school, work, and giving quotes and estimates for the last month. We are up to 110 good accounts and we are getting ready for snow removal this year.A few new purchases for you all who love equipment are:
-2009 60" exmark lazer with a strip kit and bagger
-13hp Shark Steam Pressure washer
-(2) Toro walk behind 21" mowers
-redmax reciprocator
-(2) stihl ms261's
-stihl ms440 with 36" bar(left at my cottage for fire wood)

John Deere 3320 Implements
-Landscape rake
-ballast box
-pallet forks
-lighting all the way around for plowing
-6x12 dump trailer with 7k lb axles
-(2)shindaiwa t231 trimmers(brand new pre emission i found at my dealers back stock that have been boxed for 6 years)
-redmax ebz7500,

and lastly a new shop igersoll rand 21cfm 5.5hp air compressor i have been dying for the last couple years and finally made the plunge.

Also, I bought a 6ft meyer plow for my John deere 3320 but angled it is still 64" long and about 6" too long for sidewalks. So i am going to use it for piling snow in a couple commercial accounts i have close to home(about 1/6 of a mile away)

I have been securing a lot of snow work with our advertising program this fall and i am looking for some new plow equipment for sidewalks but dont want to buy another truck. Since the big tractor doesnt fit on sidewalks with the plow and i dont want to cut anything off the blade because its already pretty small(perfect size for my tractor though)..... I was going to by a 3pt woods 5ft 2 stage snow blower. But then again,who wants to go in reverse the entire time, and at the price of around 2k for a decent used one, i kept looking.

Today when i was driving to school i saw this GEM on the side of the road, called the number and asked what he was asking for it. Its a 1989 John Deere 400 series tractor with a 54" power up power down power angle as well with 3 pt hitch, tire chains, wheel weights, and lights on it. With only 220 hours on it. it also comes with a 250lb ballast box, and a 60" john deere deck. He had a snow blower for it but scraped it because it was pretty rusted from sitting out side. The only thing i wished it had, just to help the value of it would be a rear PTO. Weingartz could install it for 300 dollars but its not worth it to me because its such a small tractor.

He came out and talked to me for a bit and then we took it for a spin. Started right up, no smoke, and was extremely quiet.

Anyways , about fifteen minutes later i talked him down a little bit because of the age of the tractor and we made a deal.

Here she is,

Let me know what you think i paid for it. Brand new in 1989 the price was 8,799.99 otd.

My plans for it are to get a soft side cab, fullly light it all the way around and put a little bit bigger amp alternator in it so i can run about 10 lights all over it and strobes. Its kinda going to be my winter project making this thing look new. (new cutting edge, paint on blade, new seat, and a bunch of new gauges and switch's)
Attached Images

Insured and Licensed
Old 10-23-2012, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

50 bucks worth to me.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'll say $150.00, how long you going to keep us hanging? lol
Old 10-23-2012, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll say a and a half... Idk tho those chains look pretty high tech...

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 10-23-2012, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

125 bucks. Im going to put it on craigslist for $1700 (what weingartz said its worth)

Sorry for leaving you guys hanging..

I thought it was a steal. Suprised to see its only worth 50 bucks to someone: (

The blade alone is worth 350 on craigslist, and the deck is selling for 400 on ebay.

Thought i came out pretty good.

Insured and Licensed
Old 10-23-2012, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

With a 3pt hitch its likley worth more than 1700$, is it diesel?
Old 10-23-2012, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So are you keeping it or not. First you say you're gonna do a bunch of work to it and than less than 2 hours later you're selling it?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Whats the deal did you not sell out? I talked to a guy that said he bought you out?
Old 10-23-2012, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Hope you sell it for what you want, but you should know that Deere built the 400 series for 8 years. 1975-1983. That's not an '89. Surprised Weingartz didn't know any better...
Old 10-23-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Haha. Sorry guys. I talked to weingartz and it is a 83'. They said the 425 or something was the 89'.

I bought it for a steal, i have a bunch of work for it, but i have an atv with a plow and a gator up north with a plow that i could use. I dont want to use those becuase they are the toys and i dont want to ruin the fun things in my life with workin them too hard. Im going to most likely keep it but if someone wants it for 1700+ its theirs! Why would i keep it when i can make 1500 and did absolutly nothing.

rstan: Im not sure who you talked to but nobody bought me out. I had a couple offers of 60-80k for my business but i can make double that all said and done with two employees per year. I ended up not selling, restructuing, and getting rid of my dump to a friend of mine from washington township, and bought a dump trailer to get rid of the high costs of an older dump truck that gave me nothing but headaches.

Insured and Licensed