Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 07-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Wet_Boots's Avatar
Wet_Boots Wet_Boots is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: metro NYC
Posts: 39,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
This is about obtaining accurate actionable information.
There are reasonable assumptions to be made, given a meter size and static pressure. Whether those are good enough to base a proposal on, is another kettle of fish entirely.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-07-2012, 12:01 PM
Kiril Kiril is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: District 9 CA
Posts: 18,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
There are reasonable assumptions to be made, given a meter size and static pressure. Whether those are good enough to base a proposal on, is another kettle of fish entirely.
You can make all the "reasonable" assumptions you want, that however doesn't mean you are getting accurate and actionable information. At best it would be an education guess, which may or may not be acceptable depending on how large a margin of error you are allowing for, however let's not fool ourselves into thinking you can get an accurate measure of available flow from a static pressure reading and meter size .... that is unless someone wants to present an equation.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-07-2012, 12:29 PM
txirrigation txirrigation is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
You can make all the "reasonable" assumptions you want, that however doesn't mean you are getting accurate and actionable information. At best it would be an education guess, which may or may not be acceptable depending on how large a margin of error you are allowing for, however let's not fool ourselves into thinking you can get an accurate measure of available flow from a static pressure reading and meter size .... that is unless someone wants to present an equation.
I would agree definitely an "education guess."

It has been so long since I made the charts I am going to have to go through my books and find the equations. I will get them to you.

I will say this, as long as you have a 1"supply, over 50psi, and a 5/8 meter; the meter is going to be your most restricted component. Which is basically what you are trying to determine, not how much can I get, but where is the bottle neck. Once you locate the most restricted part you determine safe flow and go with it.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Wet_Boots's Avatar
Wet_Boots Wet_Boots is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: metro NYC
Posts: 39,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
I would agree definitely an "education guess."

It has been so long since I made the charts I am going to have to go through my books and find the equations. I will get them to you.

I will say this, as long as you have a 1"supply, over 50psi, and a 5/8 meter; the meter is going to be your most restricted component. Which is basically what you are trying to determine, not how much can I get, but where is the bottle neck. Once you locate the most restricted part you determine safe flow and go with it.
With basement meters, the supply line to the house becomes the biggest factor in determining the available water supply.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-07-2012, 03:25 PM
txirrigation txirrigation is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 923
This is what a connection for us looks like. Usually we are tapping into PVC but this was a small house and they ran kel-tec all the way to the house. Kel-tec is much like PEX but has an aluminum sheath around the plastic pipe with a protective layer of plastic round the aluminum. It is nasty stuff to work with if you do not have the right tools. You have to have a stripping tool that hooks up to a drill in order to remove the aluminum and outer plastic layers. For the plumber it is a breeze, trying to get this all done upside down in a trench is not so easy. And yes, that is a schd. 80 threaded nipple between the 1" female thread adapter and the brass female pex adapter, it's just covered in teflon tape.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Wet_Boots's Avatar
Wet_Boots Wet_Boots is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: metro NYC
Posts: 39,507
TOE nipple?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-07-2012, 03:41 PM
txirrigation txirrigation is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
TOE nipple?
yessir. Normal pex is a breeze but we avoid cutting into this stuff like the plague.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Wet_Boots's Avatar
Wet_Boots Wet_Boots is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: metro NYC
Posts: 39,507
Is it something other than the heating PEX? I know there's a version of PEX that employs an aluminum layer to prevent air diffusion.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-07-2012, 11:52 PM
muddywater muddywater is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
Never done it

Utilize the water meter.

If it's a well use a flow meter or install a temp ( or perm) deduct meter
That is the prob the easiest way to get your gpm by converting cubic feet to gpm.

I bought a flow meter for gits and shiggles that has a 1" males adaptor to screw in the backflow. Rarely use it though. After you've done 200 sprinkler systems in a town you know who has flow and who doesn't.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-08-2012, 09:00 AM
Kiril Kiril is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: District 9 CA
Posts: 18,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by txirrigation View Post
I will say this, as long as you have a 1"supply, over 50psi, and a 5/8 meter; the meter is going to be your most restricted component. Which is basically what you are trying to determine, not how much can I get, but where is the bottle neck. Once you locate the most restricted part you determine safe flow and go with it.
You can't make up data TXI. Anyone can arbitrarily choose a velocity along with a known pipe size and get a flow from the charts.
That number is meaningless if the supply cannot support the flow for the velocity you just arbitrarily chose.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:16 AM.

Page generated in 0.08961 seconds with 8 queries