Register free!

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
I think your mistake was taking a gpm measurement and a static pressure reading and not a dynamic pressure reading while doing your flow test.

If you have the pressure and flow there is mo reason you can't get 40' out of a # 6 nozzle with funny pipe and saddle tees, I do it all the time.
Posted via Mobile Device
What he said, if you've got 50PSI static, you do not have anywhere near that dynamic. I'd bet your dynamic reading is more like 35PSI or less (just a rough guess). You need to run the math on the hydraulics and figure out what your supply really is or how much you need to increase your pipe sizes.

The funny pipe swing joint isn't the problem.

Last edited by bcg; 07-07-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thing is, is the soil is really sandy, the system may be pushing the envelope to cover all the plantings, and is better off with crappy pressure and maximum flow.

The textbook solution would have been a separate one-inch tap at the street. Curbside meter in a large pit that can also hold a DCVA and master valve. One-and-a-half inch mainline.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Then swap them out to maxipaws?
Old 07-07-2012, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

a Maxipaw with the 3/16 nozzle might just get you that 40 feet and 6 gpm
Old 07-07-2012, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
I doubt the funny pipe is the main issue like boots says something else is going on. I wouldn't use funny pipe trying to push 6gpm though. It is a bottleneck in a system that needs minimum pressure loss. 40' is really pushing it. 30-35' max with 5000s in my book. May have to swap them all out to maxi paws.
I just came back from messing around with the system for the last few hrs. Here are some updates.
I reduced the total of all nozzles to be 10-11GPM vice 12. Substantial increase in throw distance. On a 5GPM nozzle i am now throwing about 36-38', and a 4GPM i am at around 35-36'. Some are at the 32-34 mark too.

The zone that i was chucking 25' had a 6GPM and an 8GPM. I switched them both to 5GPM and i am at about 38'. It doesnt look like any of the streams to touch another head, i am short on most all of them, that i cannot fix. Its a screw up. Everything does get covered but not like it should. I cannot get the end of the stream to touch another head like i wish.
It seems that 5GPM is the max nozzle size and the sweet spot, if i try to go any large the distance falls short by ALOT.
So i have 3-4GPMs in the 180s, 5GPMS in the 360s, and 1.5-2GPMs in the 90s.

I really looked at the pattern, and i think the only thing i am not happy with is how the "rain curtain technology" Everything does get wet inside the circle but i still think about 30% more water goes to the last 2' of arc. My soil being so sandy it likes that 30% more water, but if i could have it more even i would be happier.

What is a good head changeout to use. I have about 50 heads, but not going to replace all of them. I was looking at the Falcon 6504s because they have a tri nozzle design, vice a single like the 5004. Anyone like these. I was trying to stick with rainbird, and it looked like the 6504 could just screw right into the same base. So i dont have to do any digging. I see its a 1" inlet but i do not want to upgrade all the fittings and stuff like that.

You are pretty much dead on with the distance of the 5004s. I am happy with the numbers but it is def low from what they claim.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Thing is, is the soil is really sandy, the system may be pushing the envelope to cover all the plantings, and is better off with crappy pressure and maximum flow.

The textbook solution would have been a separate one-inch tap at the street. Curbside meter in a large pit that can also hold a DCVA and master valve. One-and-a-half inch mainline.
Ya you are correct. I should take some pics, the soil is pure sand. I think this is why on the coverage i end up with a the last 2' of the arc to be darker green while everything inside is barely holding its own this time of year. The last 2' with these heads has large water droplets, doesnt seem like even coverege like they claim. I am not interested in redoing everything, its thousands to have a new tap at the street, and i am 550' from the street, then another $1000 for a 1" or larger meter. 3/4" meter for residential is not that bad but anything more is commercial.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you are almost satisfied with the system, the only real performance upgrade will be Maxipaw impact heads, because their impact drives outperform any gear drive rotor at low pressure.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
a Maxipaw with the 3/16 nozzle might just get you that 40 feet and 6 gpm
This is an impact type rotor? I have never used one.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've done systems with Maxipaws where the street pressure was barely 50 psi. There was nothing else that had a chance of spraying 35 feet with only 25 psi at the head.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I see them on sprinkler warehouse for about $18 each. I could give it a try, i always thought these types of sprinklers were lower end, but i could be wrong, i am not the expert
Closed Thread