Register free!

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

For pros, the Maxipaw heads are low-end, because they are high-maintenance. For the homeowner keeping an eye on things, they get you performance nothing else will provide, and the extra attention they require will be worth it.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Here is a pick from the 2nd floor. You can see the greener lines are at the end of the arc where there tends to be larger water droplets. On a hot sunny day inside the arc area looks heat stressed. This is watering 45mins per zone starting at about 3am, but the soil will be dry as a bone at the end of the day, like you didnt even water. It will stay green where those large water droplets end.

So i guess the question is, based on my revised numbers a few posts ago (34-38' on 4 or 5GPM nozzles with the 5004s, should i buy 6504 or maxipaws.
Attached Images

Last edited by turbosl2; 07-07-2012 at 04:52 PM. Reason: pics
Old 07-07-2012, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Member

the brown is red thread from the humid weather this spring
Old 07-07-2012, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Forget the Falcon rotors. Forget any gear drive rotor, if your static pressure is only 50 psi.

You can look at a chart that will show gear-drive head coverage at 30 psi, but that's just a chart. If I phoned factory support and told them that I was getting poor coverage with a gear-drive head at 30 psi head pressure, I would be informed I should be designing with head pressures of at least 50 psi.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What Boots said. 50 psi is nothing, static-wise.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It does sound like you are losing too much pressure in the system if you are starting at 50~55 Static. These rotors will work but you will not get 48 feet as I think I read in the thread.

http://www.rainbird.com/documents/turf/chart_5000.pdf
Old 07-07-2012, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosl2 View Post
Here is a pick from the 2nd floor. You can see the greener lines are at the end of the arc where there tends to be larger water droplets. On a hot sunny day inside the arc area looks heat stressed. This is watering 45mins per zone starting at about 3am, but the soil will be dry as a bone at the end of the day, like you didnt even water. It will stay green where those large water droplets end.

So i guess the question is, based on my revised numbers a few posts ago (34-38' on 4 or 5GPM nozzles with the 5004s, should i buy 6504 or maxipaws.
there is a direct relationship between the nozzle size/gpm and the supply/pressure.

if you have 50 psi at the head (which you haven't verified) the 5000 with a 2.0 nozzle will throw 37 ft @ 2.25 gpm (averaged) and the 6504 will throw 41 ft @ 3.7 gpm.

it makes no sense to increase your demand almost 1.5 gpm to gain gain 2 feet in distance from the head when you may be able to modify the layout and head spacing.

if your supply estimate is correct you can reduce the nozzle size as dana suggested and adjust the head placement to acheive a more harmonious outcome.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2012, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I sure made a ton of money stomping-down stuck Maxis. The best one was the cold call where all the Maxis were destroyed. I looked at the site, hooked-up the remote and started to do a survey. The owner came out and I, (in disbelief) asked what in the hell happened here? He noticed the remote, and said, "fire the zones." Out of nowhere came two Jack Russel terriers and attacked the heads, viciously. I patted both of them and said, "good dogs". We replaced the entire system with rotors, end of fun for the dogs.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the thing for the OP to do is to get a few of the Maxipaws, along with the extra nozzles, and a marlex ell for each head, and more swing pipe and swing pipe couplings

convert a zone of two or three heads to Maxipaws, and experiment with the yellow and tan nozzles, and the low-pressure arm setting
Old 07-07-2012, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This thread has pretty much run out of pavement: screwing around with this and that may give someone something to do, only to have it fail, again. It took me many years to say, "start over, get a decent design and enjoy your landscape." 'Nuff said.
Closed Thread