Click for Weather

Old 07-10-2012, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys.....
Old 07-10-2012, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrasshoppersLLC View Post
I know what your saying mow alone.. What I said came out the wrong way.. He's know skids like I know mowers so I'm sure it's all legit I just don't have the extra 3-4 gs
Personally, I'd hold out until you do. You would be almost twice as productive with a stand on unit over any walk behind.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Personally, I'd hold out until you do. You would be almost twice as productive with a stand on unit over any walk behind.

Forkster makes ride plates for all of them
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2012, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

He's likely talking about travel speed. Most of the units that DO NOT come with factory stand on plates have a 2mph reverse and 3-4mph forward travel speed while larger units with the built in operator platform have 4mph both forward and reverse. It makes sense as, if you're walking behind a machine and not on it, there's always the danger of being pinched between the machine and an object. that's why the walk-behind machines have the 'stop guards' or 'press plates' as I call them for operator safety.

The best advice I can give someone when they're asking me advice on mini skids is get the best machine you can afford. If you can't afford to drive a corvette, you make due with what you can afford. It might not have all the power and functionality of the vette but you can always upgrade if/when you can afford it but, something is usually better than nothing if it saves you back labor and time.

I've been doing tree work and landscaping for 27 years. I didn't acquire all the equipment I have now overnight. I started out with the pitiful junk that I could afford and slowly upgraded my stuff as I could afford to do so. Now, my stuff is all paid for and I can afford to have the bigger better equipment that would have bankrupted me 27 years ago. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the smaller dingos, bobcats, etc so long as they get the job done. They might be slower and less productive than the bigger mini skids but they still are productive and a more economical way to get started with a mini than trying to save up to buy a new vermeer or ditch witch. I say 'new' because used vermeers and ditch witches are far and few inbetween. the bobcats and dingos are more plentiful because they're less expensive. For someone on a tighter budget, they make more sense as a starter machine. Once a person pays off that machine and realizes its productivity, then that's the time to trade up to a bigger better machine but it's no different than how you'd treat your other equipment. You start small to keep overhead low and work your way up to bigger better stuff.

AP
Old 07-11-2012, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Picked up my new toy today I got a dingo 222 with a brand new 23 kohler and new pump last year.. It has a tiller, auger with 30" bit, forks, ripper, and light material bucket I got it for 4000$ is that a good deal...almost had the trailer but they wanted to keep it for the new dingo they were buying..
Old 07-11-2012, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Where can I find a 12" auger for posts. Is there anything local and how much would I spend on a new one?
Old 07-11-2012, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrasshoppersLLC View Post
Picked up my new toy today I got a dingo 222 with a brand new 23 kohler and new pump last year.. It has a tiller, auger with 30" bit, forks, ripper, and light material bucket I got it for 4000$ is that a good deal...almost had the trailer but they wanted to keep it for the new dingo they were buying..
Great deal! 222's are indestructable, the dingo rental/dealer here has one with 6000 hrs!
Old 07-11-2012, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Member

great deal only thing to watch is the chain tension, on the front drives. i have a 322 and i friggin love it!!! i had a tx420 just not as awesome as i was expecting a tracked machinr to be over a wheeled one....also i plow/snowblow with mine, so tracks are useless on the ice. decided to keep the 322 love the zero turn capability, and the pricetag was right.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is there a certain way to check the tension? Should it be loose or tight?