Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-27-2013, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

University study on cutting wet grass?

Any studies on cutting wet grass? What I want to know is if for a 10 week period you cut half a yard right after watering and the other half 2 or 3hours later (dry) would the grass cut dry be healthier? How? The only thing I can find is a ''possibility'' of disease if cut wet. Same yard same conditions.I am not asking about rutting or clumps of grass etc.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

From my experience the only problem found from cutting wet grass is that it bends over an lays down. Just my two cents.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cutting wet foliage tears the foliage tissue instead of clean cutting the tissue. Tearing the tissue weakens the foliage allowing for disease susceptibility along with causing pre mature sinensis. Will cause foliage depleation faster than replacement of new foliage.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I cut wet grass all the time and it's still alive and growing, unfortunately. The biggest culprit of damaged lawn areas are pesticide applicators who don't know what they're doing.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 07-27-2013, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't see how anyone can cut wet grass and not consider rutting or clumping, since I can't get stuck without rutting I guess that rules out getting stuck as well, and clumping being a pre-cursor to grass buildup we have ruled out the mess underneath the deck, well, there you have it, according to this biased study there is no disadvantage to cutting wet grass but I do hope this study isn't part of any real University.

There is however, one other disadvantage and that is root breakage...
When riding over top of soft, wet soil there occur depressions, even without rutting we have pronounced soil compaction that is far worse than it would be on dry soil, this compaction is such that roots can break off underneath the soil, causing areas of grass to die.

Last edited by herler; 07-27-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
Any studies on cutting wet grass? What I want to know is if for a 10 week period you cut half a yard right after watering and the other half 2 or 3hours later (dry) would the grass cut dry be healthier? How? The only thing I can find is a ''possibility'' of disease if cut wet. Same yard same conditions.I am not asking about rutting or clumps of grass etc.
As for me, and my real-world observations (which are all that really count) I've never seen any adverse effects of cutting wet grass.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What about grass getting two feet tall because it rains every freaking day for weeks? Do you cut, or let it rot? Personally I cut raining or not. Also you have to take into account the jerk-off fert companies that use 46 percent nitrogen every four weeks in the spring leaving you a rotting mess.

"non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other livings beings, we are still savages. THOMAS EDISON
Old 07-28-2013, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-N-Texas View Post
As for me, and my real-world observations (which are all that really count) I've never seen any adverse effects of cutting wet grass.
no harm meant, but what would someone from texas know about cutting wet grass? unless your people all irrigate and your going into mow before the crazy texas heat has dried the lawn i guess. parts of the country are receiving so much rain right now they have to basically always mow wet grass or starve.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
I cut wet grass all the time and it's still alive and growing, unfortunately. The biggest culprit of damaged lawn areas are pesticide applicators who don't know what they're doing.
My thought's also.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-N-Texas View Post
I agree Tom. Some people seem to worry about cutting grass when its wet, but I would venture a guess more damage is done cutting with dull blades. I would be more worried about keeping a sharp edge on the blade rather than worrying about the moisture content of the grass.