Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-06-2012, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

differences between Kaw 31HP 850 and 37 1000

What are the major differences between the 31 HP 850 and the 37 HP,were there 2 versions of these motors?

I have heard the 31 HP is the best engine Kaw makes,is this true. Thanks!

is the 850 a big block?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The main difference is about 8 hp now LOL.

The FX850 is a good engine, and now rated at 27 true HP, while the FX1000 is now rated at 35 true HP by the manu. The FX850 has been a very popular engine option in ZTR's for the last several years now, with many, many units in the field. Many mower manu's are still using the old ratings (like Hustler for one) to try to sell off their inventory of units produced with engines that have the old rating stickers on them, since they know they may not sell as well if someone comes in looking for a 31 and finds they are now "only" 27 hp. They know that the numbers are BS, but still promote them that way hoping many guys who come in to buy one have no clue that the rating system has changed and is more accurate now.

The FX850 is not a BB, but the FX921 and 1000 are.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The 1000 is bad to the bone, that's the difference. I plowed thru 10" tall thick Bermuda today on the ole super z and she never choked.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

and you are saying a 850 would?
Old 07-06-2012, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I run an FX850 in my Z950 JD with a 60" MOD deck. I haven't seen any grass yet that will make it struggle. It just plows on through without skipping a beat. Hills don't bother it either. When the deck is in mulch mode it doesn't bog it either, and I've mulched off several inches of thick grass at a time with it. So far, I am very happy with this engine (as I have been with every Kawi I have owned, and that's been quite a few now).

It doesn't use oil, or smoke at start up like the Kohler I had before this one did. I bought both of them new too.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I run an FX850 in my Z950 JD with a 60" MOD deck. I haven't seen any grass yet that will make it struggle. It just plows on through without skipping a beat. Hills don't bother it either. When the deck is in mulch mode it doesn't bog it either, and I've mulched off several inches of thick grass at a time with it. So far, I am very happy with this engine (as I have been with every Kawi I have owned, and that's been quite a few now).

It doesn't use oil, or smoke at start up like the Kohler I had before this one did. I bought both of them new too.
What is your gallons per hour on average with that engine? I demoed a mower with the 34 kaw and was getting about 2.4 gallons a hour.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengiant9963 View Post
What is your gallons per hour on average with that engine? I demoed a mower with the 34 kaw and was getting about 2.4 gallons a hour.
I haven't checked it recently, but last time I did, I was getting around 1.6 or 1.7 GPH depending on what type/how thick the grass was.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

I was just being funny. I'm sure the 850 is plenty for most normal circumstances. You just never know when you may find yourself in that one situation where you need more. I got 1.7 and 1.8 gph on mine the two times i checked it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2012, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGrassCutter View Post
I was just being funny. I'm sure the 850 is plenty for most normal circumstances. You just never know when you may find yourself in that one situation where you need more. I got 1.7 and 1.8 gph on mine the two times i checked it.
Posted via Mobile Device
It's all good. I didn't take it as a knock on the 850. I was just pointing out my experiences with one, and that I have yet to see grass that I needed more for. I have run the FX921V in a Z960. There's never such a thing as too much power IMO. That is, as long as the machine it is mounted in will handle it. If I had to cut up and down mountain sides all the time, I'd take the biggest engine they could stuff in one. Mmmm............ maybe a V4 with about 60 HP.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
It's all good. I didn't take it as a knock on the 850. I was just pointing out my experiences with one, and that I have yet to see grass that I needed more for. I have run the FX921V in a Z960. There's never such a thing as too much power IMO. That is, as long as the machine it is mounted in will handle it. If I had to cut up and down mountain sides all the time, I'd take the biggest engine they could stuff in one. Mmmm............ maybe a V4 with about 60 HP.
Actually if they built a mega Z with 72 inch cut to pull pull behinds for doing huge areas at speed 60 HP would be about right, the new Super Z which I heard a major complaint on from a crew here in FL yesterday can use 37 HP to run it up to 15MPH! add 2 to 4 pull behinds dual wheels then factor in hillie conditions and you have a app for a 50 or 60 HP ZTR.