Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-08-2012, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

need some help starting and getting around

hey there guys, im 19 and just a county college kid looking to start his own landscaping company. i have been doing fall clean ups and snow removal for 5 years now but i would like to continue my "business" all year round. i have a few yards that i cut now, but when i say few i mean very few. i have made flyers and have been handing them out but it seems like alot of people already have companies that do it, and if they dont they cut there own and dont mind doing it. so i dont know how to get customers! i have a add on craigslist but it seems like the people that call me from there are the "hurry i need my lawn cut before i have a party or people come over my house" more like a one time deal thing. i have all very professional equipment and do the best of job i can every time. i have red max blowers, little wonder push blower, redmax trimmer, tanaka edger, toro proline 36 walk behind, and i occasionally use my dads woods mowin machine m2250 for the larger lawns.

please someone help me and provide advice for getting more accounts and advertaisment, and worst of all and every landscapers dredded dream is being undercut .. is that my last resort?

thanks,
Andrew
Old 07-09-2012, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

when did you put your flyers out if you just put em out you are going to be hard pressed to find alot of work. I put mine out in march and got 19 lawns from that then from alot of word of mouth my parents would tell all their friends i was starting a company when they would ask about me and have added 18 lawns since then. I have also had people just walk up to me while i was working asking me to start cutting their lawn. If you are just going to lowball youll be out of business soon enough they guy who used to cut yards in my neighborhood lowballed and now i cut all his yards cause he is out of business he was charging 25 bucks a yard which was 10 bucks to low for what i charge and a guy i know who cuts a good amount in here too. Sure lowballing will get you work now while your young but when you have insurance equipment gas taxes and everything else associated with running a company not to mention a mortgage or rent, food , medical, dental and other insurance lowballing with just make you broke \ talk to people you know first i think alot of us on here alot of our first account were people who lived next to us and family friends
Old 07-09-2012, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

It's a slow process when you first begin to advertise. First get your business license and insurance. Then spend some time on your Craigslist add. Add in as many key words as you can and make it sound professional. Stick to your prices that will weed out alot of the PITA calls. The oldest trick in the book "The last guy was only charging 20$". There are guys in my area posting on craigslist for 15 and 20$ cuts up to a half acre lot. I advertise maybe 2 times a month with a 35$ min. and I get calls sometimes three weeks after I post. My first year was spent mowing alot of PITA accounts. But as time went on I was able to replace those accounts for better ones. The way I see it "Rome wasn't built in a day" it takes time to build up your client list. Set yourself some short term goals as well as long term goals. Like everyone else says word of mouth is king as far as advertising goes. But to get the work to get the word of mouth is the trick. This will take patience. Going the extra mile for a good customer will possibly reward you with a referral.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2012, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Member

to cat 320d lrr and erics lawn service thanks for your advice, i realized that maybe its kinda late in the season to be getting customers left and right like im expecting. i was thinking and maybe when i go around and do my normal leaf clean up customers and snow removal customers i can talk to them about cutting there lawns and take care of there propertys, that may be a better way to start because they know i do quality work thats why they have me do the services i provide for them every fall and winter. again anyone that has any other ideas or advice feel free to leave a comment as im looking for as much advice and help as i can get. any of you guys out there that do snow removal what kind of machines do you use for your smaller jobs (driveway, walkway, sidewalk) .. i went out and bought a brand new honda hs928 blower two years ago and let me tell you i will tell anyone to go out and buy that over anything else. when i used it in the first storm i was amazed on how far it threw the snow, it was actually funny because my and my buddy were doing to driveways right next to eachother and i kid you not he was yelling at me because my blower was throwing the snow right over the persons lawn and into the next driveway where my buddy had already cleared. snow removal is always alot of fun.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Sponsor

Here are some tips on ways you can grow your business.

Start a Mailing Campaign: Mail is one of the easiest and most direct ways to make customers aware of your service. Sending out an engaging sales letter every week, for instance, can build recognition of your name.

Think about your Market: You should always have your target market in mind. Don’t spread yourself too thin by trying to service many different types of clients at the same time. Envision your ideal customers and focus your sales and marketing efforts on improving their experience.

Give Discounts: Offering a discount for referrals, sending out coupons, and giving free service trials are all great ways to get new customers.

Social Networking: If you already use a social networking site, such as Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn, you’re in a prime position to use your contacts for directly communicating with customers. These sites allow you to engage your target market and get your name out there.