Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-09-2012, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
I'm sure the OP understands this...My guess, and it's just a guess, is that he blows right over your calculations and has a tuna sandwich or two for lunch today.
Posted via Mobile Device
Haha, i hate tuna fish. I like tuna for fish entree but dont like tunafish.

I measured about 1/4 inch over 45mins. i will double check this because this was before i renozzled my entire system.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Unfortunately, there are many reasons an Irrigation system is operating at less than optimal conditions.

Name 3?
I pointed out several weaknesses in an irrigation system today, that explained each brown spot that occured during the heat event... all of them were design problems... you want to play games with your 'name 3' foolishness, then go for it, but I don't play that way...
Old 07-09-2012, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I pointed out several weaknesses in an irrigation system today, that explained each brown spot that occured during the heat event... all of them were design problems... you want to play games with your 'name 3' foolishness, then go for it, but I don't play that way...
I see design problems all the time.

what was your point? There are hacks out there.... you are right.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosl2 View Post
Haha, i hate tuna fish. I like tuna for fish entree but dont like tunafish.

I measured about 1/4 inch over 45mins. i will double check this because this was before i renozzled my entire system.
Well there you go...that's just enough to piss the grass off!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2012, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Expert groundskeepers(like at baseball stadiums and golf courses), judge the need for water based on the appearance of the grass. If it starts to wilt, they start the irrigation. They have skill and a practised eye. Temperature is important, loss of water (evaoptranspiration) is faster at high temps, sandy soil, low himidity, or windy conditions.
You will get lots of opinions here. I would not worry about disease during hot dry conditions, even at night. Disease--especially red thread, dollarspot and brown patch--tends to occur during warm rainy humid nights. During dry spells you will only be wetting the grass for an hour or two.

I am not sure roots can sense where water is hiding. They mostly grow downward, and branch regularly. They will not penetrate dry soil.
I have a tuna can out right now getting a measurement. I will report back in an hr or 2. Its good to hear about not worrying about the disease this time of year. I dont water in the spring very much.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Pressure, flow and spacing...just a guess

Around here it's only two reasons...people are cheap and watering restrictions.
Posted via Mobile Device
There are many really, there are times to break the rules and times when it will bite you in the rear.

I have seen HO's unhappy about an install when the install is fine or better than average but they are being cheap, workered on it themselves and messed it up.

I have seen others that act happy but the system is a crap design. All they want is a repaired head and it needs a rework.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure how much of your 1/4" evaps, but I'm sure if it's hot and dry its a measurable amount so you would factor that in with Kiril's math.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2012, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Not sure how much of your 1/4" evaps, but I'm sure if it's hot and dry its a measurable amount so you would factor that in with Kiril's math.
Posted via Mobile Device
Kiril's math is right on. Problem is it is not static. It changes hour by hour.

We can look at historical data and set up prorgams based on monthly data and hope the HO's change the program. We can program ET controllers.

The bottom line is many things can go wrong and often do. These are mechanical systems, designed to deliver water. There are issues with design, maintenance and operation.

HERE is the big issue. We all need to know how to work these systems correctly or big brother will decide, Turf bad.... cost water, make lawns illegal.

It is already happening. EPA water sense is working on reducing turf and setting standard on water use that will keep turf from being viable.

Hacks to remain un-named are likely to make that happen faster.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Kiril's math is right on. Problem is it is not static. It changes hour by hour.

We can look at historical data and set up prorgams based on monthly data and hope the HO's change the program. We can program ET controllers.

The bottom line is many things can go wrong and often do. These are mechanical systems, designed to deliver water. There are issues with design, maintenance and operation.

HERE is the big issue. We all need to know how to work these systems correctly or big brother will decide, Turf bad.... cost water, make lawns illegal.

It is already happening. EPA water sense is working on reducing turf and setting standard on water use that will keep turf from being viable.

Hacks to remain un-named are likely to make that happen faster.
I was saying for him to use Kiril's math...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2012, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Does wind play a factor in evaporation? does time on the surface before soaking in affect evaporation?? does humidity have an effect on evaporation??? how about sun/shade conditions??? hieght and thickness of grass/dirt/weeds...?
You guys talk like you invented the internet and no one else has been aware of anything before you got on the forum... and now your math will save the planet...

I think there are people other than gov't approved plumbers that can do math too... when necessary...