Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-11-2008, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Member

what to use for grubbing mesquites?

This is probably going to only be specific to a certain area, but I will ask anyway. Those of you that do it, what attachment do you use on your skid to grub mesquites? I haven't found very much of anything that I thought would work real well.

http://www.treeterminator.com/grubber.htm

This is the only one that I have found that I felt really confident in.. but then again, I haven't used one.. and my exprience is very limited. I am not real sure that it would do the trick.. but I would like information and opinions.

thanks.

Last edited by Blyth; 03-11-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think a 4-in-1 combo bucket would be money better spent.

http://www.youtube.com/user/69rd96
Old 03-11-2008, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Blyth, depends on how big those mesquites are. Some just won't come out (like hackberries). though it's a double step, you might consider shearing them (they shear easy) and look at a blue diamond stump bucket to pop them up. They can have an extensive root system if the soil is deep and you need leverage. Your tooth bucket will get bowed and bent on the bigger trees if they are rooted good.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 03-11-2008, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Hmmmm, my new hobby, grubbing mesquite. I have been using a stump bucket. It works well. My neighbor shreds them with a skid steer mounted rotary mower then sprays Remedy/diesel on the stump. Many around here shear them and immediately spray the stump with the aforementioned mix.

I saw an interesting attachment called Grub-n-Rake made by Dan Moran of Dans Machine and welding in Brady TX. I would post the link but I cannot get it to work. On his web site he has a video of the machine grubbing mesquite and cedar (juniper). Basically the machine is a huge rake (not root grapple rake) with a grubber that hydraulically moves into position when needed. It then uses the bucket tilt to pop out the trees about 8" below the ground. When not in use the grubber folds out of the way allowing for use of the rake.

You may want to also check out Brush Busters http://texnat.tamu.edu/BrushBusters/index.htm for info on getting rid of mesquite.

One other thing I use is my root grapple. I modified the grapple with a "v" shaped piece of steel plate welded between the two center tines of my root grapple.... kind of like a double gusset that meets in the shape of a "v". It gives my root grapple some bite bellow ground and I can pop out the trees and continuing on with use of my grapple. I works fairly well.

Central Texas has a nice supply of mesquite to experiment on.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

the excavator method is my personal fav but that's a lot to haul for some jobs.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 03-11-2008, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroz View Post
Hmmmm, my new hobby, grubbing mesquite. I have been using a stump bucket. It works well. My neighbor shreds them with a skid steer mounted rotary mower then sprays Remedy/diesel on the stump. Many around here shear them and immediately spray the stump with the aforementioned mix.

I saw an interesting attachment called Grub-n-Rake made by Dan Moran of Dans Machine and welding in Brady TX. I would post the link but I cannot get it to work. On his web site he has a video of the machine grubbing mesquite and cedar (juniper). Basically the machine is a huge rake (not root grapple rake) with a grubber that hydraulically moves into position when needed. It then uses the bucket tilt to pop out the trees about 8" below the ground. When not in use the grubber folds out of the way allowing for use of the rake.

You may want to also check out Brush Busters http://texnat.tamu.edu/BrushBusters/index.htm for info on getting rid of mesquite.

One other thing I use is my root grapple. I modified the grapple with a "v" shaped piece of steel plate welded between the two center tines of my root grapple.... kind of like a double gusset that meets in the shape of a "v". It gives my root grapple some bite bellow ground and I can pop out the trees and continuing on with use of my grapple. I works fairly well.

Central Texas has a nice supply of mesquite to experiment on.
Could you post some pictures????
Old 03-11-2008, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry, I don't have any pictures. The link is http://www.dansmachineandwelding.com/catalog/item/3018771/2542576.htm However, I have not been able to get it to work for about a week. The machine is called Grub-N-Rake.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Try this link for a very small picture of an early machine.

http://www.davidhallattorney.com/ind...index.htm~main

It is the patent attorney for the Grub-N-Rake. The machine I saw must have been a later model as it looked more refined and the grubber was a little smaller.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

The machine I saw looked like a rake with this machine attached http://www.powergrubber.com/index.htm. except the grubber could be raised or lowered hydraulically.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

chiroz.. where are you from.. I am in Brownwood..and I am only about an hour from Brady.