Register free!

Old 07-09-2012, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hot Tub Stairs

So have any of you built steps for a hot tub? Pictures? Here is my best attempt.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2012, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

not bad.

but the top landing should have been wider.

See, when one is climbing out, if the top is wider - they can climb out without having to look at their footing. With the narriow 12-inch tread - they must look down at what they're doing.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm working w a hot tub salesman on making "Kits". Why dp you think the market is for this. A 30" wide plastic 2 step 12" depth is $240 and comes with storage. I'm like $200 materials, 3 hour set up from leaving shop to getting home if it's a 30 min drive. Question is where to place glue and what to make permanent or quasi permanent or just make it all permanent.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2012, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel like only yoda can understand what you are saying
Old 07-09-2012, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Crazy I am. What do you think customers would pay for these stairs. 3 hours one guy $200 materials?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2012, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLewisLawnCare View Post
Crazy I am. What do you think customers would pay for these stairs. 3 hours one guy $200 materials?
Posted via Mobile Device
There are already plastic steps on the market. Mass produced in the factory. No labor. Just order, pay, ship, set next to the tub.

"3 hours"?? Is that 3 hrs onsite or 3 hrs that includes loading the truck, mobilizing, setting up shop, building steps, cleaning up, driving back, unloading scraps, etc.

Back in 2001 I paid an industry consultant to come sit down with me and help set me straight. First thing he said to me when we sat down "there is no such thing of 1/2 a day of work". And he's right. BY the time you factor in the loading, driving, unloading, cleaning up, loading scraps, tools, etc, driving back, unloading - that 3 hr job is now a 6.5 hr job.

Maybe you're aware of this. Maybe not. I dunno. Jus food for thought incase you're not as smart as me

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm thinking $750. I am keen tO the Half day rule. Its funny to tell customers that. Once in at there house it's very hard to set up and be somewhere else. But always things to have the guys
Do around the shop. One guy 3 hours, $50 bucks for hot
Tub sales guy and $500 for me. Price tag is going right at showroom so
I'm just feeling for what other people think. The plastic ones are less than special. That's the problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2012, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

3 hours from shop to store to house to shop within 25 miles. $1/mile after that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2012, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

790 if it truly is a kit with no cutting, no base prep, no hauling/demo/removal. just sit on a slab and glue and go
Old 07-10-2012, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Agree w/ DVS on the narrow top step. Same issue, what's the deal with the return on the top step? Why not have the bottom step full width as well?

I've gone the package model on hardscapes in the past. To keep it profitable you need to limit material choice, so I assume you're limiting it to that block in that color? How many sets of steps can you get per pallet of block and caps? How many do you need to sell to make it make sense? What do you do if someone wants a different style (say, to match their existing patio) or they want another step? What I did was the package is what it is, any changes are a $75 change fee plus the additional costs.

Where I struggle is I don't see the market for this. As a foot in the door upsell opportunity for more work (I do like that aspect), I think it has potential IF you can get someone interested. Here's my inner sales manager talking: What's your pitch going to be to convince someone to go with this over a prefab step? I'll be your customer: "ok, so this is twice as expensive as the plastic step? And I can't store anything in these steps? And you're going to glue them to my patio? I don't get it." How will you overcome those objections?