Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

An update on this lawn I talked about in the first post..............

Mowing the neighbor today I noticed its been 3 weeks and the lawn still is not mowed. A couple minutes into cutting the neighbor I notice her walk over to my dad trimming. A minute later he waves at me and points to her lawn telling me to cut it so I do.

As we were pulling off he said she told him she see's why she has stayed with us for so long. We were always honest and reliable to with in 30 minutes every week she knew when we were going to show up and asked us to start cutting it again. So that's that.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 07-23-2012, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Cool. That is a customer that has learned what value is and will stick with you for a long time.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
An update on this lawn I talked about in the first post..............

Mowing the neighbor today I noticed its been 3 weeks and the lawn still is not mowed. A couple minutes into cutting the neighbor I notice her walk over to my dad trimming. A minute later he waves at me and points to her lawn telling me to cut it so I do.

As we were pulling off he said she told him she see's why she has stayed with us for so long. We were always honest and reliable to with in 30 minutes every week she knew when we were going to show up and asked us to start cutting it again. So that's that.
Look at this the bright way, you made a huge thread, and probably won over a customer for life.
Not so bad after all.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stroked View Post
Look at this the bright way, you made a huge thread, and probably won over a customer for life.
Not so bad after all.
Both Great points
Old 07-31-2012, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Are you Kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigPLC View Post
WOW... IT'S INTENSE IN HERE!!!

This is my first year in the business. To get my foot in the door I created a service called "JUSTA" as in Justa Cut, Justa Trim, Justa Edge, Justa the Basics, and I advertise "Justa Cut" as low as $5, "Justa Trim" as low as $5, "Justa Edge" as low as $5, and "Justa Basics" as low as $15. I did this so that I could pick up the home owner who likes cutting his/her own lawn, but might not have a professional edger or trimmer. I use the formula (distance [in feet] / 60 / 0.7335 x $1.25 [labor rate per minute]) + (distance / 60 / 0.7335 x $0.33 [Materials used per minute, mostly gas]) = My Fee for Trim or Edge. Rarely does this come out to being $5, but it gets me a chance to quote, and I have picked up customers by starting out just edging or trimming their lawn. But some people have accused me of Low Balling because my flyers say $15, but it also says, "as low as." Oh, by the way, $0.33 for materials covers wear, gas for both my equipment and vehicle, and it changes based on current fuel prices ($0.27 to $0.43). My formula is basically the same for cutting, but I add deck size and mowing speed into it, so (turf sq ft/60/1.467/deck size/speed x Labor rate)+(turf sq ft/60/1.467/deck size/mowing speed x Materials) = Cut Fee. Then for stripes I call that a Premium cut, and I add 10% for "Straight", 35% for Angle, double cut + 10% for "Crisscross", and double cut + 35% for "Crosshatch".

Yep I will just cut a lawn for $5 (no trim or edge), if its wide open, i can use my biggest mower and the lawn is small - like a mobile home lot. It's money, and it takes me less than 5-minutes including unloading, cutting, loading. Why not?! its easy and quick. Besides, I'm a one man show with only one mower that is financed, the rest of my equipment is new and its paid for, and I have the maintenance and replacement cost built into my materials charge. Again, I have yet, to actually cut someone's lawn for $5, but I would if I find one that meets the specs. Most of my lawns are 0.5-acre +, cause I ran around in the country looking for big lawns with high grass, and I would run up and knock on the door, just like a little kid - except that I have a $7,500 lawn mower.
You'll be out of business quicker than you can say "Jesus saves" bud. Do yourself a favor get out now before you wind up broke as a joke.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOW View Post
The bullsh!t is strong with this one obe wan! If the "hispanics", which you speak of are so great and hard working, why is their country in the shape it is in today? It should be as great as the United States!
There is a lot of civil unrest due to a corrupt government. Plus, drug lords "lord it over" the people. That is why all the wet backs come here from Mexico and South America. Trust me, I know. They want to be free from the tyranny and are safe here, but WE pay THE PRICE.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

******ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigPLC View Post
OH YES I DO!!! I adjust my mow speed to compensate for cut out time and load and unload. I'm not a fool... LOL...
Posted via Mobile Device
Uh, yes you are; however, no one is blaming you for this j/k. . . .

Damn, your model is too complicated bro! Your customers won't be impressed by it either. Just keep things simple, not so convoluted.

What we do is not rocket science, but you MUST be business savvy and have marketing skills!

Besides, if at the end of the day you have not made enough to fill your gas tank to haul all your stuff, its time for some real soul searching to see if you have what it takes to STAY in this business.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Justa-******

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassman67 View Post
So I guess your truck doesn't use gas? Maybe a bicycle?
LOL here bro
Old 07-31-2012, 03:47 PM
Moderator, Online Communities

time to wrap this one up guys so I a closing this discussion