Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #31  
Old 07-09-2012, 10:06 PM
larryinalabama larryinalabama is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ragland Al
Posts: 11,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
I bid a 28 acre cemetery. They wanted a weekly price, a hack job bid it at $434 per week. We estimated 2 eight hour days with 4 guys. You tell me how someone can do that job for $434...besides TruGreen LandCare they were the lowest bid...bids started at $1200 and went up to about $2000.
Posted via Mobile Device
I guess theyll join the people underground at that price.
  #32  
Old 07-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Toy2 Toy2 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Waco, Texas
Posts: 1,926
brown

Being of Latino decent, tracing roots back to Spainard, Indian......American first always.....but as my co-workers call us the brown people.......its all f'ed up.......the border needs to be shut down, I've said it before, they have the market, all of it, if it requires some sort of test, your safe, but even then some are working under someones license for a fee.......who's gonna walk 10 miles a day with a trimmer for $ 8.00???? They will........they rent a house here and pack the whole family, so if 5 of them make $400 a week, they put it into a pot and buy what they need/want.....I've seen it first hand.....its crazy.......
  #33  
Old 07-09-2012, 10:49 PM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy2 View Post
Being of Latino decent, tracing roots back to Spainard, Indian......American first always.....but as my co-workers call us the brown people.......its all f'ed up.......the border needs to be shut down, I've said it before, they have the market, all of it, if it requires some sort of test, your safe, but even then some are working under someones license for a fee.......who's gonna walk 10 miles a day with a trimmer for $ 8.00???? They will........they rent a house here and pack the whole family, so if 5 of them make $400 a week, they put it into a pot and buy what they need/want.....I've seen it first hand.....its crazy.......
No, this isn't true... they most certainly don't pack like sardines into house and trucks.

I've seen seen 6 of them in a reg cab Isuzu NPR.
Posted via Mobile Device
  #34  
Old 07-09-2012, 10:59 PM
ProStreetCamaro's Avatar
ProStreetCamaro ProStreetCamaro is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Gaithersburg Maryland
Posts: 3,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy2 View Post
Being of Latino decent, tracing roots back to Spainard, Indian......American first always.....but as my co-workers call us the brown people.......its all f'ed up.......the border needs to be shut down, I've said it before, they have the market, all of it, if it requires some sort of test, your safe, but even then some are working under someones license for a fee.......who's gonna walk 10 miles a day with a trimmer for $ 8.00???? They will........they rent a house here and pack the whole family, so if 5 of them make $400 a week, they put it into a pot and buy what they need/want.....I've seen it first hand.....its crazy.......

You my friend are a good wise man. You sound like my friends sisters husband. He is here legal. He trained to be a meat cutter and got certified and got a job at Safeway making $22 an hour. Hard working honest guy that did it the right way. I would gladly stand by him in any situation. It is the guys that do exactly like you said that really makes my blood boil. On top of it the extra money gets sent back to family back home.
__________________
2013 Gravely 460Z 29EFI
2011 Gravely 36GR
2008 Gravely 160Z
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
  #35  
Old 07-09-2012, 11:03 PM
Toy2 Toy2 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Waco, Texas
Posts: 1,926
had

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
No, this isn't true... they most certainly don't pack like sardines into house and trucks.

I've seen seen 6 of them in a reg cab Isuzu NPR.
Posted via Mobile Device
Years ago you had to pay the price for someones knowledge, not anymore, plumbers, roofers, all the trades.....now its all screwed up.......and people in this day and age are having to pay the bare minimum to get by.....

I just proved it tonight, had a zone go bad Friday at home, valve buried somewhere, spent a few hours Saturday and Sunday probing...no luck, broke down and called around today for someone with a 521, $70.00 to $80.00 for a service call........................decided to call in a favor to a brown, who called another brown, who called another............guy got here at 1915, left at 1940........found the valve box under 4'' of grass and dirt..............total??????

$20.00??????????????
  #36  
Old 07-09-2012, 11:05 PM
inzane's Avatar
inzane inzane is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SouthEast
Posts: 1,732
i have a friend that will cut any lawn for $15.00 2 weeks ago this lady handed him $25.00 before he started cutting, he handed her back 10, said he only charged 15.. she said, but it is a little long in the back. took him 2 hours to cut.. for $15 dollars. it doesn't stop here.. it just pisses me off. He works for an average of 7.50 an hour cutting grass when he could work extra hours at his job and make $28 dollars an hour overtime. dumbass.. lol.
  #37  
Old 07-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Lugnut's Avatar
Lugnut Lugnut is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Orange County, New York
Posts: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
I will give you guys another example of illegals. My wife is from chicago and I am from maryland. In both areas you will see 99% hispanics working in hotels and bussing at restaurants. When my wife was younger she worked in both industries and got to know some of these people. They are all illegals! ICE just did a raid on a bunch of restaurants last year in Baltimore and busted a TON of illegals and the restaurants that hired them. I even talk to an ICE agent on our local maryland hunting forum and have asked him to please start pulling these trucks over and checking these guys out but he said some mumbo jumbo about the situation has to be right and they need proof before they can do it yada yada yada.
Yet DOT can pull us over for safety inspections whenever they please.
__________________
Par 5 Landscaping

Chevy, GMC, and Ford Trucks, All Bob-Cat Mowers, Stihl Handhelds and Saws
  #38  
Old 07-09-2012, 11:06 PM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy2 View Post
Years ago you had to pay the price for someones knowledge, not anymore, plumbers, roofers, all the trades.....now its all screwed up.......and people in this day and age are having to pay the bare minimum to get by.....

I just proved it tonight, had a zone go bad Friday at home, valve buried somewhere, spent a few hours Saturday and Sunday probing...no luck, broke down and called around today for someone with a 521, $70.00 to $80.00 for a service call........................decided to call in a favor to a brown, who called another brown, who called another............guy got here at 1915, left at 1940........found the valve box under 4'' of grass and dirt..............total??????

$20.00??????????????
Holy cow! Worth every penny...and a tip!
Posted via Mobile Device
  #39  
Old 07-09-2012, 11:07 PM
scotts lawn care's Avatar
scotts lawn care scotts lawn care is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Frederic WI
Posts: 474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy2 View Post
Years ago you had to pay the price for someones knowledge, not anymore, plumbers, roofers, all the trades.....now its all screwed up.......and people in this day and age are having to pay the bare minimum to get by.....

I just proved it tonight, had a zone go bad Friday at home, valve buried somewhere, spent a few hours Saturday and Sunday probing...no luck, broke down and called around today for someone with a 521, $70.00 to $80.00 for a service call........................decided to call in a favor to a brown, who called another brown, who called another............guy got here at 1915, left at 1940........found the valve box under 4'' of grass and dirt..............total??????

$20.00??????????????
Wow! So he drove out, found the valve, worked for 30 minutes, and drove back for $20.00? The ? is......did he make any money by charging what he did?
__________________
13' Chevy 2500HD Duramax
13' JD 661R Quik Trak 61"
11' JD 930A Z 60"
05' JD F1445 Diesel 72"
13' Bobcat T650 CTL
08' Haulmax 24' Enclosed Trailer
11' JD JS 26 W.B.
12' BOSS 9.2 V-XT plow+Wings
Stihl hand held eq.
10' L.W. 13hp blower
13' Permagreen Triumph
WI certified pesticide applicator
  #40  
Old 07-09-2012, 11:08 PM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts lawn care View Post
Wow! So he drove out, found the valve, worked for 30 minutes, and drove back for $20.00? The ? is......did he make any money by charging what he did?
Who cares as long as you are the one paying!
Posted via Mobile Device
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:16 PM.

Page generated in 0.11168 seconds with 7 queries