Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
i have a friend that will cut any lawn for $15.00 2 weeks ago this lady handed him $25.00 before he started cutting, he handed her back 10, said he only charged 15.. she said, but it is a little long in the back. took him 2 hours to cut.. for $15 dollars. it doesn't stop here.. it just pisses me off. He works for an average of 7.50 an hour cutting grass when he could work extra hours at his job and make $28 dollars an hour overtime. dumbass.. lol.
At least he's honest and didn't overcharge her!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2012, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy2 View Post
Being of Latino decent, tracing roots back to Spainard, Indian......American first always.....but as my co-workers call us the brown people.......its all f'ed up.......the border needs to be shut down, I've said it before, they have the market, all of it, if it requires some sort of test, your safe, but even then some are working under someones license for a fee.......who's gonna walk 10 miles a day with a trimmer for $ 8.00???? They will........they rent a house here and pack the whole family, so if 5 of them make $400 a week, they put it into a pot and buy what they need/want.....I've seen it first hand.....its crazy.......

You my friend are a good wise man. You sound like my friends sisters husband. He is here legal. He trained to be a meat cutter and got certified and got a job at Safeway making $22 an hour. Hard working honest guy that did it the right way. I would gladly stand by him in any situation. It is the guys that do exactly like you said that really makes my blood boil. On top of it the extra money gets sent back to family back home.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 07-09-2012, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

not

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
You my friend are a good wise man. You sound like my friends sisters husband. He is here legal. He trained to be a meat cutter and got certified and got a job at Safeway making $22 an hour. Hard working honest guy that did it the right way. I would gladly stand by him in any situation. It is the guys that do exactly like you said that really makes my blood boil. On top of it the extra money gets sent back to family back home.
Not sure of that...LOL, I work for the Government, at a State level, which is f'ed up as well, my job is secure as no illegal could even get hired, but we(gov)are really screwed, alot of waste, alot of turn the other cheek kind of crap......but its a job thats secure, I can see exactly what Obama is trying to do.......destroy it all...by locking you into the crap.....sad
Old 07-09-2012, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Not sure of that...LOL, I work for the Government, at a State level, which is f'ed up as well, my job is secure as no illegal could even get hired, but we(gov)are really screwed, alot of waste, alot of turn the other cheek kind of crap......but its a job thats secure, I can see exactly what Obama is trying to do.......destroy it all...by locking you into the crap.....sad

Dont even get me started on the government.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 07-09-2012, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts lawn care View Post
Wow! So he drove out, found the valve, worked for 30 minutes, and drove back for $20.00? The ? is......did he make any money by charging what he did?
That was his price, I was blown away, I really was, I saved $60+, but who really wins or loses?????

Me or him, or the guy trying to run a legit company.....again, we are all screwed.....you really are "on your own"....
Old 07-09-2012, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

out

Quote:
Dont even get me started on the government.
Trust me, if I could get out, I would, just no jobs in this area, I mow a couple yards just to have some spending money and avoid getting fatter.....
Old 07-09-2012, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Who cares as long as you are the one paying!
Posted via Mobile Device
Well said
05' JD F1445 Diesel 72"
13' Bobcat T650 CTL
08' Haulmax 24' Enclosed Trailer
11' JD JS 26 W.B.
12' BOSS 9.2 V-XT plow+Wings
Stihl hand held eq.
10' L.W. 13hp blower
13' Permagreen Triumph
WI certified pesticide applicator
Old 07-09-2012, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I hear you on that man. We still have our first customer that my dad picked up almost 30 years ago. We have seen many of our customers kids grow up and graduate college. In all these years we have never once raised prices. The only thing we did when gas started to go crazy is ask for a voluntary $1 extra per cut just to off set the big fuel increase and most people went for it. Our biggest problem right here where we are is the fact we are dead center between D.C. and Baltimore and the hispanic population here is HUGE. I don't have a problem with them wanting to work and I am not racist but for the love of god honest people have to make a living.
It's a huge population but take away all the illegals and see how fast it drops and prices go up. I was down in DC on Sunday visiting a customer that's been in the hospital for over 6 months and is on a vent. Everywhere I looked there was spanish written advertisements or for store front shops. I thought to myself, how in the hell would I know what they sell (not that I'd even go in a place like that) if I can't read the sign? They should be using the English language and learn to speak it too IF they're in my country legally.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Trust me, if I could get out, I would, just no jobs in this area, I mow a couple yards just to have some spending money and avoid getting fatter.....
Pretty sure one could get out if one wanted to.

But,

Where would one find such a cushy job, only forty hours per week and get paid more than the private sector for doing the same work. And the benefits.........
Old 07-09-2012, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstarblazer View Post
If this country would get a leader that can start creating more jobs maybe this would be less and less of a problem. Hey, lost your job? Go buy a mower. I hate having to compete with 15 year olds and people with no ambition. This industry is a joke for the smaller guys.

The wannabee-entrepreneur in me is thinking, why should someone else be responsible for creating 'jobs'. I'm sure there exists in all our towns, cities, counties something that is profitable, at least in the small to med scale, that we (or I ) can create or at least improve upon. In that sense if Plan A or B doesn't work, then on to C... I know, I know, easy to say , often challenging to do.

Been thinking of that around here recently...
Closed Thread