Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 06:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Old saying "When in Roam do as Romans do". The problem her in the great USofA is the new immigrants both legal and illegal are doing and living like they did in there home country, Small house no thrills existence. But in the mean time they are taking jobs and doing anything and everything but cheaper. Hence the problem exists and will continue.

I don't have to mow grass for to many more years. But I refuse to get upset about something that I and this government can not and will not correct. So I and the guy that will be around for the next 10 or 20 years has to "ADAPT". Easier said the done, but the future is right in front of use. It will not be like the past or to your liking for today or like yesterday. Tomorrow is going to be different. The question is are you going to change with the times? Or let it pass you by?

In Short the great American dream is changing. Working hard and get ahead is still possible. But the progression of this journey is what is total different.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

its people like you that are low balling 25$? really i remember mowing for that price in the late 1990s
Shindaiwa t-270, eb-630
Scag giant vac w/ 18 hp vanguard
Redmax 8500
Old 07-10-2012, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you're sure that they're illegal report them!
Old 07-10-2012, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetCamaro View Post
By bad I am talking about the low ballers. We have lost at least 6 this year to guys coming in and doing lawns we were charging $25 for and under cutting us and doing them for $20.

Everybody here says "Oh those guys will stop showing up and wont be in business long". Well I have news for you. These guys doing lawns for $20 have large fancy rigs with new equipment and a truck load of hispanics. They are doing a good job and have been reliable just like we always have been.

Now you tell me how they make enough money at $20 a lawn to survive in one of THE MOST EXPENSIVE areas in the entire country to live? One bedroom apartment? You are looking at a cool $1000+ a month for a quick example.

Well I can tell you how they survive. They are illegals working from 7 to 7 knocking out 30 to 50 lawns a day. Then they go home to a rented house with 3 to 4 families living and splitting the rent in that house. They are not paying tax's etc etc.

Here is a perfect example of what happened today. Customer of about 18 years comes out and says this will be the last cut because she got the guys that did some seeding under the trees she has in the front yard this spring because they were going to do it for $20 a cut. My father asked if she was unhappy and she said no not at all we have always done a good job and been very reliable. He then asked why she wanted to get some illegal crooks to do her work. She asked what he meant by that. He said "did I not tell you last year that we could reseed those areas but it would be a waste of your money because it is too shady for the grass to survive?" and she said yes I remember that. He pointed at all the dead grass under the tree's and said "you did not listen to me and instead got some illegals that lied to you and wasted your money when I already knew what would happen if we tried to seed those areas and here after all these years and you admitting you have been happy you are going to go and quit and get some lying illegal thieves to do your work? At $20,000+ for a truck, $3000+ for trailer, $10,000+ for each zero turn, $60+ daily in gas, plus maintenance, insurance and tax's, just how do you think these guys can make a living at $20 a lawn if they are not doing shady tax evading work?" He then shook his head and said good luck and walked away before she could say anything.

Guys I got news for you. Those of you that claim you wont drop your gate for less than $35 to $40 better be prepared. It is heading your way.
maybe if you and your dad weren't so obviously racist, your customers wouldn't leave you over $5

just because you see a group of latinos cutting grass doesn't mean they are illegal or running some tax scheme to save money.

truth is, they (latinos/mexicans) have different wants than we americans have. they don't need a 3000 sq ft home if it's just three family members. they are fine driving their 1999 toyota corolla...while we lust for a bmw or benz.

this is just a guess, but i bet 90% of employees of the big time companies are latinos. i have 4 guys working for me that are LEGAL latinos. they work for a big company here and help me on thurs, fri and saturday.

here's the key: they're all brothers, they live together in a 4 bd rm apt and they only have 2 cars! if they decided to open their own biz, they could charge $20/yard because they live below their means.

just my opinion, but your customer dropped you for other reasons, not $5
Old 07-10-2012, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
By bad I am talking about the low ballers. We have lost at least 6 this year to guys coming in and doing lawns we were charging $25 for and under cutting us and doing them for $20.
the guy before you....the one that was doing the lawns for $30....is somewhere complaining about how he was lowballed by $5 by an illegal lowballer
Old 07-10-2012, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

These 16mph ztrs are not helping anything either. My city was talking about needing a business licence for lawn and landscape work. Only giving so many out and older companies would be grandfathered in
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2012, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:

Everybody here says "Oh those guys will stop showing up and wont be in business long". Well I have news for you. These guys doing lawns for $20 have large fancy rigs with new equipment and a truck load of hispanics. They are doing a good job and have been reliable just like we always have been.

Now you tell me how they make enough money at $20 a lawn to survive in one of THE MOST EXPENSIVE areas in the entire country to live? One bedroom apartment? You are looking at a cool $1000+ a month for a quick example.

Well I can tell you how they survive. They are illegals working from 7 to 7 knocking out 30 to 50 lawns a day. Then they go home to a rented house with 3 to 4 families living and splitting the rent in that house. They are not paying tax's etc etc.

Here is a perfect example of what happened today. Customer of about 18 years comes out and says this will be the last cut because she got the guys that did some seeding under the trees she has in the front yard this spring because they were going to do it for $20 a cut. My father asked if she was unhappy and she said no not at all we have always done a good job and been very reliable. He then asked why she wanted to get some illegal crooks to do her work. She asked what he meant by that. He said "did I not tell you last year that we could reseed those areas but it would be a waste of your money because it is too shady for the grass to survive?" and she said yes I remember that. He pointed at all the dead grass under the tree's and said "you did not listen to me and instead got some illegals that lied to you and wasted your money when I already knew what would happen if we tried to seed those areas and here after all these years and you admitting you have been happy you are going to go and quit and get some lying illegal thieves to do your work? At $20,000+ for a truck, $3000+ for trailer, $10,000+ for each zero turn, $60+ daily in gas, plus maintenance, insurance and tax's, just how do you think these guys can make a living at $20 a lawn if they are not doing shady tax evading work?" He then shook his head and said good luck and walked away before she could say anything.

Guys I got news for you. Those of you that claim you wont drop your gate for less than $35 to $40 better be prepared. It is heading your way.
You must be fairly new in this business. "It's headed your way"........It's been this way since the beginning of time and is just getting worse.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Your major competition are the big LCO's with hispanics they are like the CEO's that overseas work and hurt this country. I know I offended most of you guys. The other are the ones that get unemployment and do this on the side while their wives are working hard making the dough. oh we can't forget the ones that do it for cash under the table. I can go on forever!

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."
Old 07-10-2012, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen424 View Post
maybe if you and your dad weren't so obviously racist, your customers wouldn't leave you over $5

just because you see a group of latinos cutting grass doesn't mean they are illegal or running some tax scheme to save money.

truth is, they (latinos/mexicans) have different wants than we americans have. they don't need a 3000 sq ft home if it's just three family members. they are fine driving their 1999 toyota corolla...while we lust for a bmw or benz.

this is just a guess, but i bet 90% of employees of the big time companies are latinos. i have 4 guys working for me that are LEGAL latinos. they work for a big company here and help me on thurs, fri and saturday.

here's the key: they're all brothers, they live together in a 4 bd rm apt and they only have 2 cars! if they decided to open their own biz, they could charge $20/yard because they live below their means.

just my opinion, but your customer dropped you for other reasons, not $5

Negative on that one. This customer lost her husband 3 years ago and has been struggling to pay her bills. She is in her 60's and almost every year she gets 1, 2, 3 months behind and one day she will come out and pay us. Been like that with her ever since her husband passed. We never said a word because she always did eventually pay and she told us up front about her situation and thanked us for understanding and not cutting her off. Now she found a way to save a few bucks so we are out. This is a 10,000 sq/ft lawn. She even cut back on how often she had it treated so I know she is making all of her decisions based on price. BTW her lawn was always one of the better looking lawns in the neighborhood. Always cut clean and striped in different directions and always trimmed and edged crisp. Nobody is going to be able to come in and do a better job. We have had her neighbor for over 20 years. They did quit a few years ago and went with a bigger outfit. After 2 years they came back. They said they felt we did a better job and it helped that we still had the neighbor that just quit yesterday so both lawns were side by side and in direct comparison every week.

Here is something else she would do once her husband passed. Every year she would get a price from us to trim the bush's, clean the beds out and edge them and mulch. 4 yards of mulch required. Every year we told her it would be the same as previous years. 4 yards of mulch at $60 a yard installed and that also included trimming the bush's, weeding and edging. So that quote was always $240. A couple weeks later we would show up to cut and it would be done. Now who the hell is going to come in and do all of that for less than $240?
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 07-10-2012, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Its here too. Scag walkbehind on a small trailer behind a truck (sometimes old, sometimes late model) with a few trimmers on racks or in the bed of the truck. Saw probably 10 or 15 of these outfits while out today. Its insane. We just keep our customers super happy and they pay our prices. We have only lost 1 or 2 people to price recently.
Mike
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Closed Thread