Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Member

There are low ballers in every industry. The curbing business, the auto detailing/reconditioning business, the hair salon business, the roofing business....I could go on and on. Our businesses succeed despite the low bidders because we have created an image, strive for the best results, educate our customers and have developed a trust where our clients know that we will be on time, offer the best customer service and the best product at a fair price. We don't get all the business, but we work hard to keep the best customers. They can have the wishy washy clients that change with every $5 dollar bill. Instead of focusing on what the low bidders are doing...focus your energy on what you can do to instill confidence in your current and new customers. It will take time, but be a great investment in yourself.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurbGuyNC View Post
There are low ballers in every industry. The curbing business, the auto detailing/reconditioning business, the hair salon business, the roofing business....I could go on and on. Our businesses succeed despite the low bidders because we have created an image, strive for the best results, educate our customers and have developed a trust where our clients know that we will be on time, offer the best customer service and the best product at a fair price. We don't get all the business, but we work hard to keep the best customers. They can have the wishy washy clients that change with every $5 dollar bill. Instead of focusing on what the low bidders are doing...focus your energy on what you can do to instill confidence in your current and new customers. It will take time, but be a great investment in yourself.
I agree and thats what I do.

Dave...
Old 07-10-2012, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Member

5 Zero Turns.

Pro Street Camaro. I have only one question for you. Why do you need 5 Zero turns? In your original post you wrote something like "these guys are doing lawns for $20 and have fancy new rigs with 3 bran new 10K dollar zero turns. TRUST ME, they will go out of business. Prob won't make it past the first year. I have watched at least 10 companies just like you described go under. Same exact business model came to my Linthicum, MD route and undercut me, doing lawns for $25 that I was doing for $40. Well guess what? EVERY last one of em went outa business. I now have 14 customers on the same street, taking back every last one of them after they gave up. Oh yeah, now the rate is $45-$50 and each customer understands that if they cut me again I will never take them back.

My reason for saying this is two fold. First, these low ballers that have nothing but new expensive equipment is because, they are new, don't know what there doing and will go outa business. Witch will serve a great buying opportunity for me. I will get a great deal on one year old equipment. Secondly, that's how you operate. Why would you ever need 5 zero turns?
Old 07-11-2012, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
They do not affect me too much because most of my work is commercial so these people cannot compete.
The IRS doesn't care who pays their taxes any more than the DMV gives a rat as to who has a driver's license,
for commercial work the only requirements are insurance and legitimately paying taxes.
Mostly and only because the business having the work done will claim it as a deduction.
And to pay taxes all you need is a EIN and a State Tax Registration number, neither of which check your immigration status.

And there's more...
Immigration will actually grant Visas to people who hold legitimate employment, such as small business owners.
All you need to enter the United States is a legitimate JOB, and if you own a business in the USA that likely qualifies.
How do you think all those folks from India are suddenly working in all the convenience stores?
Then they can "hire" a few of their friends, and now they have a legitimate job and can enter the country, too.

That's how they get in, the better part of that is actually completely legal, borderline perhaps, but legal.
Like the child born in usa law, have pregnant mother run across border, give birth in usa = baby is a us citizen.

And now that they know the above, maybe you can start to see them, too.

Last edited by herler; 07-11-2012 at 01:10 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Member

To the OP your father totally mishandled the situation.Its the customers choice no matter how long he serviced her yard,she can walk way any time she feels like. He showed no professionalism what so ever.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloscaperman View Post
The last thing I will say about my secret, Loyalty usually wins over price unless the low baller's price is 50% lower then yours. All it takes is to spend some time "bonding" with your customer and buy them something on Christmas. All my customers say that I am the first LCO ever to buy them something on Christmas. When you do that you "give" and what company just gives you something for Free. They remember that and have that trust and loyalty or friendship.

They may also think they owe you which I don't expect just to be treated good but I have gotten a lot of christmas money from my customers.
Buy them a Christmas present.... Really?!!

Bonding with customers consists of taking care of what needs to be done. We mail out Christmas cards to customers, but that is the extent. Up here it isn't so much the illegals it's the unemployed people working for cash. Saw three rigs today, a jeep wrangler, volvo station wagon and a pickup. The jeep and the wagon had a TSC trailer in tow with a rider, push mower and a trimmer. The pickup had a push mower in the back. They'll mow properties for $20 less than the local going rate because they make $30 on a lawn it took them 2 hours to do. Also customers do vary by level of income contrary to belief. I have seen a large LCO go to a waterfront property with 2 trucks, 5 guys, and 2 Walkers, to mow 1/4 acre lawn. If that property was 5 miles inland do you think the customer would pay for that type of service?

Last edited by jrs.landscaping; 07-11-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

couple

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsbybrown View Post
wow this thread is depressing...boo friggin hoo......sounds like a bunch of excuses.......wahhhh

ADAPT AND OVERCOME!!
I'll give you a couple years and see how many invade your area......its not if, its when.....
Old 07-11-2012, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with Grass Master. Usually this is just a cycle. I have seen this as well. The cheapest never survives, you have to have good customer serve and provide a good service.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen424 View Post
maybe if you and your dad weren't so obviously racist, your customers wouldn't leave you over $5

just because you see a group of latinos cutting grass doesn't mean they are illegal or running some tax scheme to save money.

truth is, they (latinos/mexicans) have different wants than we americans have. they don't need a 3000 sq ft home if it's just three family members. they are fine driving their 1999 toyota corolla...while we lust for a bmw or benz.

this is just a guess, but i bet 90% of employees of the big time companies are latinos. i have 4 guys working for me that are LEGAL latinos. they work for a big company here and help me on thurs, fri and saturday.

here's the key: they're all brothers, they live together in a 4 bd rm apt and they only have 2 cars! if they decided to open their own biz, they could charge $20/yard because they live below their means.

just my opinion, but your customer dropped you for other reasons, not $5
Totally agree with you stephen424. Problem I see is "Americans" around me seem to feel a sense of entitlement. The "big boy" landscapers can't stand when a few hispanics roll up in a 20 yr. old truck/car with a few pushmowers, trimmers and rakes and do work that easily rivals these large outfits and can afford to do it for less due to minimum overhead. Most of those hispanics will work rings around the average American and expect little in return. They are just happy to be living here and making a decent living.
Old 07-13-2012, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HusqvarnaRules View Post
Totally agree with you stephen424. Problem I see is "Americans" around me seem to feel a sense of entitlement."Americans" ARE entitled to amy and all work before any illegal from any country The "big boy" landscapers can't stand when a few hispanics roll up in a 20 yr. old truck/car with a few pushmowers, trimmers and rakes and do work that easily rivals these large outfits and can afford to do it for less due to minimum overhead.Less overhead because they all cram into a tiny aprtment, one (two if there lucky) small truck(s), and aren't paying taxes, but sending American dollars back home to their families so they can sneak into the country Most of those hispanics will work rings around the average American and expect little in return.I've worked on the same jobs as many illegal mexicans in the past (new home construction, and we knew they were illegal because they would brag to us about beating our immigration system regularly- at least the ones that could speak any english) and I'll grant you they work hard, but they do far from the best quality of work at the same time They are just happy to be living here and making a decent living.They're so happy to be living here making a good living compared to back home, and feel safe in knowing the govn't will not do anything to send them back to their country of origin regardless of which country that is, and that goes doubly now.
I'm betting that you are either hispanic, or employ a bunch of them and feel the need to justify it. When people from ANY country come here illegally and lowball those of us who were born here, and have THE RIGHT to work here, then yea, it's a problem for all of us in this country, not just LCO's. It costs us all millions of dollars in taxes to pay for their health care and other govn't benefits they can apply for and receive all while working for depressed wages here that are still miles ahead of what they can make in their own country. If they come here legally and can speak english, then I don't care where there from, nor what they drive and/or use to do their work.
Closed Thread