Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-09-2012, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Front mount mowers for residential accounts

does anyone here run front mount mowers for their residential accounts? Ive been kicking around that idea for a couple weeks now for next year. Would prob run john deere with my exmark lazer i have now any opinions. Im not talking about a walker or exmark naviigator i was thinking along the lines of a deere 1445 with a 60in deck

Last edited by T Scapes; 07-09-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What size residential? They are big heavy and not very good on hills. I would concider a x740 x748 with a 60" 7 iron deck before the 1445. They follow the contour about as well as a front mount. Not sure what your reasoning is for wanting a front mount.

Have you thought about grasshopper?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2012, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
What size residential? They are big heavy and not very good on hills. I would concider a x740 x748 with a 60" 7 iron deck before the 1445. They follow the contour about as well as a front mount. Not sure what your reasoning is for wanting a front mount.

Have you thought about grasshopper?
Posted via Mobile Device
after cutting with a friends old front mount john deere i really like cutting with it and starting thinking it would help with some of residentials and also looking down the road i know some accounts require rear discharge mowers. Id had looked at grasshopper but no dealer real close
Old 07-09-2012, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

why is walker out? they make side discharge and mulching decks also.
i love my front mount. it compliments my lazer z awesome!

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 07-09-2012, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
why is walker out? they make side discharge and mulching decks also.
i love my front mount. it compliments my lazer z awesome!
the only walker dealer within 50 miles of me really rubbed me the wrong way. I guess sine im only 20 the didnt take me seriously and overall i really would not do any business with them
Old 07-09-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I love my 1445 diesel for medium/large accounts. The seat is great, uses half the fuel of my z's. 72" cut can be a bit tricky on some resi accounts, it's better suited to commercial properties.
05' JD F1445 Diesel 72"
13' Bobcat T650 CTL
08' Haulmax 24' Enclosed Trailer
11' JD JS 26 W.B.
12' BOSS 9.2 V-XT plow+Wings
Stihl hand held eq.
10' L.W. 13hp blower
13' Permagreen Triumph
WI certified pesticide applicator
Old 07-09-2012, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts lawn care View Post
I love my 1445 diesel for medium/large accounts. The seat is great, uses half the fuel of my z's. 72" cut can be a bit tricky on some resi accounts, it's better suited to commercial properties.
i was thinking either a 60in side discharge or 62in rear discharge
Old 07-09-2012, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, I do. The older models, like the f932, are lower profiled and great on hills going side to side or up/down. However 2wd units don't climb as well and some counterbalance on rear is a good idea on hills. They hold much better than the zt's that I demoed, even in wet grass. (A full tractor or something with tracks would be the only thing better, but beyond the scope in typical suburbanite yard)

The 1445/1545 have a 30hp diesel so a 60" deck is on the small size. A 72" would be better sized. The 1435 is ~26hp diesel. With 4wd they climb. Really, these compare better to compact tractors, except the implement is in the front. Yes, they are heavier than a ztr, keep in mind that's over 4 tires + deck, where a zt is 2 tires + deck. Now add a MCS (fancy grass catcher that makes it look like a mini-self-propelled chopper) and a 4 post ROPS/cab and it gets up there.

As was asked earlier, what kind of size and terrain? I personally use this on a few properties of a few acres each plus a farm around a small orchard, pond lot, campsite, roadside and in general 'taming the wild'. Have used it to pull a huge roller over the yard, pull/push logs/branches out of area, minor grading --- winter plowed/blow snow (well, OK, just 3 times last yr). The snow plow is light duty and has no down pressure.

Deere and Lastec do make a 72" Flex deck. For $7k you get a High-Def mower that floats to the contour of the ground. You also need the 30+hp and some extra weights, belts, lots of belts... and if soft ground is the norm, you'll have some issues. Won't get stuck but will leave marks. The dealer at the Golf/Turf store actually persuaded away from it (at the time there was a slightly used one with striper for ~ 1/3 price)

OK, probably more info than you asked so brief summary -- Big yard - Yes ;Small yard - not really, use WB ; hilly terrain - yes ; soft yards - Yes, but 4wd and smaller unit or older 2wd ; Yard with trees - Yes because front deck can get under low branches and save on trimming!! Big acreage -- umm, no . Harvest and sell it instead.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ExploreTech View Post
Yes, I do. The older models, like the f932, are lower profiled and great on hills going side to side or up/down. However 2wd units don't climb as well and some counterbalance on rear is a good idea on hills. They hold much better than the zt's that I demoed, even in wet grass. (A full tractor or something with tracks would be the only thing better, but beyond the scope in typical suburbanite yard)

The 1445/1545 have a 30hp diesel so a 60" deck is on the small size. A 72" would be better sized. The 1435 is ~26hp diesel. With 4wd they climb. Really, these compare better to compact tractors, except the implement is in the front. Yes, they are heavier than a ztr, keep in mind that's over 4 tires + deck, where a zt is 2 tires + deck. Now add a MCS (fancy grass catcher that makes it look like a mini-self-propelled chopper) and a 4 post ROPS/cab and it gets up there.

As was asked earlier, what kind of size and terrain? I personally use this on a few properties of a few acres each plus a farm around a small orchard, pond lot, campsite, roadside and in general 'taming the wild'. Have used it to pull a huge roller over the yard, pull/push logs/branches out of area, minor grading --- winter plowed/blow snow (well, OK, just 3 times last yr). The snow plow is light duty and has no down pressure.

Deere and Lastec do make a 72" Flex deck. For $7k you get a High-Def mower that floats to the contour of the ground. You also need the 30+hp and some extra weights, belts, lots of belts... and if soft ground is the norm, you'll have some issues. Won't get stuck but will leave marks. The dealer at the Golf/Turf store actually persuaded away from it (at the time there was a slightly used one with striper for ~ 1/3 price)

OK, probably more info than you asked so brief summary -- Big yard - Yes ;Small yard - not really, use WB ; hilly terrain - yes ; soft yards - Yes, but 4wd and smaller unit or older 2wd ; Yard with trees - Yes because front deck can get under low branches and save on trimming!! Big acreage -- umm, no . Harvest and sell it instead.
i have a fair amount of my accounts that have hills that a 4wd front deck would help on a ton as well as some larger fields i mow that i think would help. Also with some accounts i would like to bid on it would help. Alot of my yards are faairly big and it would help with those.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

so um, is that actually your slogan in your signature?