Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #21  
Old 07-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat 320D LRR View Post
Yea i think if i have my rider and a front mount and i also have a walk behind so overall i think that fleet will work well but i am thinking of switching to all john deere with a 1445 with a 62in rear discharge a 930 with 60" deck and mod and then a 48in walk behind
It seems that anyone who comes on here and runs a stander claims they are far better than everything else. That's just BS plain and simple. No way you can duck under branches as easily when you are already standing up and especially as tall as you are. All types of mowers have there place, and I wouldn't mind owning a stander myself one of these days, but not because it's better than the rest. there's just certain situations where one would work nicely for me at times.

As for the 1445, I say that would be about as good as it gets for the types of mowing you've said you do and need this new mower for.

If you get the Z930, save yourself the extra $800 and skip the MOD unless you mow around a lot of cars, windows, or mulch beds regularly with it. It doesn't cut quite as well as the std 7 Iron does under any condition. It cuts good, but the std 7 Iron is about as good a deck as can be had anywhere and from anyone under all conditions. I owned the std deck previously to buying a new Z950 with the MOD this year, and both in 60" so I have a pretty fair basis to compare them off of. I've tried all the same blades, and on the same lawns, and the std deck is just a bit better period. It cuts cleaner and with almost zero build up underneath it in wet conditions compared with the MOD.

BTW- There's nothing remotely gay about the quote you have in your signature either.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-10-2012, 07:18 PM
T Scapes's Avatar
T Scapes T Scapes is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Garnet Valley PA
Posts: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
It seems that anyone who comes on here and runs a stander claims they are far better than everything else. That's just BS plain and simple. No way you can duck under branches as easily when you are already standing up and especially as tall as you are. All types of mowers have there place, and I wouldn't mind owning a stander myself one of these days, but not because it's better than the rest. there's just certain situations where one would work nicely for me at times.

As for the 1445, I say that would be about as good as it gets for the types of mowing you've said you do and need this new mower for.

If you get the Z930, save yourself the extra $800 and skip the MOD unless you mow around a lot of cars, windows, or mulch beds regularly with it. It doesn't cut quite as well as the std 7 Iron does under any condition. It cuts good, but the std 7 Iron is about as good a deck as can be had anywhere and from anyone under all conditions. I owned the std deck previously to buying a new Z950 with the MOD this year, and both in 60" so I have a pretty fair basis to compare them off of. I've tried all the same blades, and on the same lawns, and the std deck is just a bit better period. It cuts cleaner and with almost zero build up underneath it in wet conditions compared with the MOD.

BTW- There's nothing remotely gay about the quote you have in your signature either.
i have a chute block on my lazer that the guy who owned the machine before me put on there and that helps alot around beds and stuff keeping grass out and i also plan on bidding on apartments around me which is making me lean towards the mod deck or i might just buy a chute block for the 7 iron deck

and im with oyu on my quote still trying to figure that one out
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-10-2012, 07:35 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,954
Some people just don't want to have to acknowledge there's a God.

I wish I'd just went with the std deck and a chute blocker like I was going to originally. I cut with a loaner Z960 last year and it seemed to stripe even better than my std deck, so I went went ahead and bought the MOD this year. I figured I'd have to buy a mulch kit come fall, and the chute blocker for regular cuts anyways, so it'd cost about the same in the end. The MOD isn't bad, and I don't mean it to come off like it is. I just very much prefer the std deck after using both for a while now, especially in wet conditions.
I will say that with the adjustable baffles underneath the MOD deck (the two small ones you can locate in different positions, or remove altogether), the clippings come out much smaller than they do with a std deck and identical blades.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-10-2012, 08:09 PM
T Scapes's Avatar
T Scapes T Scapes is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Garnet Valley PA
Posts: 1,067
i was just reading on deeres website and it had the deck labeled as a 60in 7 iron pro mod deck i know it has the mod but is there any other difference
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-10-2012, 08:19 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,954
The only difference between the std 7 Iron Pro, and the MOD version is basically in the design of the deck underneath. The front baffle is a lot differently shaped, which along with the two small adjustable baffles makes the blades are more tightly baffled, and then you have the MOD feature itself which are the moveable front baffles that close off each blade by about 95%.
The discharge chute is just as large, but the way the clippings come out is much different, and they are mainly blown striaght out tp the right by just the right blade.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-10-2012, 08:19 PM
coolluv coolluv is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 2,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
well it's kinda gay, just sayin'...
And I bet you think girls have Kooties too.

Dave...
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-10-2012, 10:21 PM
T Scapes's Avatar
T Scapes T Scapes is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Garnet Valley PA
Posts: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
The only difference between the std 7 Iron Pro, and the MOD version is basically in the design of the deck underneath. The front baffle is a lot differently shaped, which along with the two small adjustable baffles makes the blades are more tightly baffled, and then you have the MOD feature itself which are the moveable front baffles that close off each blade by about 95%.
The discharge chute is just as large, but the way the clippings come out is much different, and they are mainly blown striaght out tp the right by just the right blade.
thanks for the help man im gonna head up to the deere dealer friday if i can get all my work done
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-10-2012, 10:38 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,954
I really like my Z950, but I wish I had opted for the suspension seat when I bought it instead of the MOD deck. You'll definately want the suspension seat option. It should be std, but it isn't.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-11-2012, 02:12 AM
2ExploreTech 2ExploreTech is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I really like my Z950, but I wish I had opted for the suspension seat when I bought it instead of the MOD deck. You'll definately want the suspension seat option. It should be std, but it isn't.

I agree (with suspension seat)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-11-2012, 02:54 AM
GSO LAWNEN4CER GSO LAWNEN4CER is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GSO NC
Posts: 83
I run a front mount and love it. With yards with tons of flowerbeds,and trees.They make it quick and easy to get the job done.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:34 PM.

Page generated in 0.07029 seconds with 7 queries