Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2014, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Member

sorry to revive this old thread, but im thinking about buying one of these lighter string trimmers. What kind of oil do you guys run in your husky trimmers? Being the manufacturer oil is costly, what do you recommend?
Old 02-18-2014, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Amsoil Saber at 80:1. Way cheaper to by, and as good a oil as you can get.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought a new 325L in 04 and it finally gave out on me in fall of 2012. I wish that thing had an hour meter on cause I can tell you it was a bunch. I could put it up for winter and in the spring it would start within two pulls. Needless to say I went and bought me a new 323L and love it. Can't go wrong with a Husqvarna trimmer but I didn't have much luck with their backpack blowers.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 326L and it's a great trimmer, very light and plenty strong. As for the start assist some referred to, I have a 223L with that and it died. I replaced the mechanism with a standard direct unit and no issues with it now.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

How old is your 223L that has the start assist? I have never seen that on one. Mine is a few years old now and still runs like a champ.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dog Diablo View Post
I bought a new 325L in 04 and it finally gave out on me in fall of 2012. I wish that thing had an hour meter on cause I can tell you it was a bunch. I could put it up for winter and in the spring it would start within two pulls. Needless to say I went and bought me a new 323L and love it. Can't go wrong with a Husqvarna trimmer but I didn't have much luck with their backpack blowers.
Which model BP of theirs did you have bad luck with? the newest ones-560/570/580 are excellent blowers with great reps. I have had my 570 since the first month they hit the market in the fall of 2011, and have yet to have any problems with it.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
How old is your 223L that has the start assist? I have never seen that on one. Mine is a few years old now and still runs like a champ.
It's probably 2 or 3 years old. Bought it at Lowe's, so I don't know if it was a different spec, maybe homeowner model. The new starting mechanism bolted right on, it's the same one that's on my 326 I believe.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate'sLawnCare View Post
It's probably 2 or 3 years old. Bought it at Lowe's, so I don't know if it was a different spec, maybe homeowner model. The new starting mechanism bolted right on, it's the same one that's on my 326 I believe.
That's interesting. The one's at the area Lowe's here are all like mine. There is no difference between the models they sell at Lowe's and a dealer, but maybe that was something they thought they'd try for a while on the 223L since they figured more HO's would buy them than commercial guys. They're good little trimmers, that's for sure.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Ridin I had two of them and think they were a 165BT, does that sound right? I bought one the same day I bought the 325L and bought another one the next spring. I had nothing but trouble out of both of them. I ended up giving one to my Dad and I struggled with the other one for a few summers. Last year I broke down and bought an Echo 770 and love it. I'm not real crazy about their trimmers (weight) but love the blower. I may try another Husqvarna Backpack cause I'd really like to have all my trimmers and blowers be the same brand.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dog Diablo View Post
Ridin I had two of them and think they were a 165BT, does that sound right? I bought one the same day I bought the 325L and bought another one the next spring. I had nothing but trouble out of both of them. I ended up giving one to my Dad and I struggled with the other one for a few summers. Last year I broke down and bought an Echo 770 and love it. I'm not real crazy about their trimmers (weight) but love the blower. I may try another Husqvarna Backpack cause I'd really like to have all my trimmers and blowers be the same brand.
I'm not sure on the older model numbers from, several years back, so maybe 165 is correct, but I have not heard of that one that I can recall. I know they make the 150 BT and also the 350 BT which are the same except for harness and pipes. Try a 570 or 580. You will love it. Noticeably more power than the 770 even, and both have better harnesses than any other blower made including the RM's. I was on my way to buy a 770 when I finally found a guy who had a 570 to try (everyone else was already sold out of them). I had already tried the 8500 RM which is the 580 in red, and the 770 Echo. As soon as I tried the 570, I knew I had found what I was looking for. So far, it has been awesome, and zero trouble after two full seasons.