Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
How about you learn how the science of taxonomy works before you comment on it Axe.
I have a hard time figuring out the taxonomy of Drupal much less the plant and animal kingdom.

Small,

I do not think DNA is the actual correct term we would want to use.
Genetics would likely be closer but what do I know?.

Here is an abstract I found -

The genus Poa comprises approximately 500 species that occur throughout the world, including the widely grown Kentucky bluegrass (P. pratensis L.). Hybridization and polyploidization have played a prominent role in the
evolution of this complex genus, but limited information is available regarding genome relationships in Poa. Thus, we amplified, cloned, and compared the DNA sequences of 2 nuclear genes (CDO504 and thioredoxin-like protein) and 2 chloroplast genome loci (ndhF and trnT–trnF) from 22 Poa species. Four distinct classes of sequences corresponding to 4 putative homoeologous loci from each nuclear gene were found within polyploid P. pratensis. Nuclear sequences from 15 other Poa species were found to group with at least 1 P. pratensis homoeolog, whereas 6 species displayed sequences not present in P. pratensis. The nuclear genome phylogenies presented here show the first evidence of diverse and related genomes in the genus Poa.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
... The genus Poa comprises approximately 500 species that occur throughout the world, including the widely grown Kentucky bluegrass (P. pratensis L.). Hybridization and polyploidization have played a prominent role in the
evolution of this complex genus, but limited information is available regarding genome relationships in Poa. Thus, we amplified, cloned, and compared the DNA sequences of 2 nuclear genes (CDO504 and thioredoxin-like protein) and 2 chloroplast genome loci (ndhF and trnT–trnF) from 22 Poa species. Four distinct classes of sequences corresponding to 4 putative homoeologous loci from each nuclear gene were found within polyploid P. pratensis. Nuclear sequences from 15 other Poa species were found to group with at least 1 P. pratensis homoeolog, whereas 6 species displayed sequences not present in P. pratensis. The nuclear genome phylogenies presented here show the first evidence of diverse and related genomes in the genus Poa.
We are a long way from mapping out a genome and identifying the meaning of each gene, the meaning of combinations of genes being switched on or off, and the meaning of the whys and wherefores of those genes being switched on or off...
The only thing we can know, is what we can see and experiment with, right here and right now... remember the onlt reason this thread got sidetracked to dna and genes is becuz of so much talk about the magic of native species and why 1/3 of the plantings don't make it... that is the subject at hand...
What was the name of the monk that demonstrated genetics with bean plants??? the basic understanding of what was demonstrated there has not been disproven, but serves as a foundation to understanding the vast variability in the genetic code...

Do we imagine that every grass seed is the same and will be responding the same as its neighbor to the environment, at maturity??? This is a basic reason why adaptation works and various species emerge in the various environments across the temperate zone of planet Earth...
Becuz that variability was already in the ancestors of todays plants... we can do gene splicing but that isn't what we're talking about either...
Old 07-16-2012, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Still another slam on the foundational truths of genetics rather than specify what exactly is in error... personal attacks are used by those who have nothing left to say on their own behalf... so go ahead and insult me all you want...
Putting aside your complete ignorance of taxonomy, try looking up somatic mutation, or anything about plant genetics, then review and correct your ignorant post.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Putting aside your complete ignorance of taxonomy, try looking up somatic mutation, or anything about plant genetics, then review and correct your ignorant post.
Go out on a limb and say in your own words why somatic mutation is relevant to our discussion... actually speak from your own thought processes and demonstrate to us that you understand the subject at hand... you're doing nothing more than telling me I'm ignorant and I need to look up some brochures of my own... so this post of yours is no different than any other post spewing forth hatred...

My assessment is that all you are able to produce from your own thot processes is hatred... JMO...
Old 07-16-2012, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
We are a long way from mapping out a genome and identifying the meaning of each gene, the meaning of combinations of genes being switched on or off, and the meaning of the whys and wherefores of those genes being switched on or off...
Unbelievable. Do you ever check your information before you post?

One example of a plant with a complete genome sequence.

http://www.arabidopsis.org/
Old 07-16-2012, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I find it flattering that so many people are so hot to prove that I'm a fool,,, that they continually side-track and side-step the discussion at hand so that they can feel justified in slamming someone that doesn't even exist... smallaxe is an icon on a computer screen...

What was the name of the monk that studied genetics with beans???
Old 07-16-2012, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Go out on a limb and say in your own words why somatic mutation is relevant to our discussion
Educate yourself so you can speak intelligently on the subjects of taxonomy and plant genetics and I will be more than happy to discuss the topic with you. That said, all you have demonstrated here is your complete LACK of understanding of these two subjects .... so we just add on to the list of subjects you really have no understanding of, but yet attempt to talk intelligently on them. Then when someone points out your complete ignorance you begin with the personal insinuations and ridicule of all things related to science. Round and round we go.

Quote:
I find it flattering that so many people are so hot to prove that I'm a fool
I didn't realize there was anything to prove here, that matter was settled long ago. The only thing that is happening here is making sure people don't believe the garbage you are spewing forth.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Unbelievable. Do you ever check your information before you post?

One example of a plant with a complete genome sequence.

http://www.arabidopsis.org/
This proves my point completely... did I say that we are a long way from have the genome mapped of anything??? no ... I said we are a long way from understanding the meaning of it... side-tracked to justify another spewing... so boring and predictable...
Old 07-16-2012, 04:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
This proves my point completely... did I say that we are a long way from have the genome mapped of anything??? no ... I said we are a long way from understanding the meaning of it... side-tracked to justify another spewing... so boring and predictable...
Hmmmmm, actually you did state that, and said nothing about understanding ..... but whatever dude.

Quote:
Old 07-16-2012, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Small, you are trying to frame this discussion to agree with a statement before it can go forward.

For the purspose of this discussion, it would be 'correct' to say that the DNA, that makes up the POA, gives it the variability to live in the Temperate Zone of planet Earth...
B4 anything more can be sensibly revealed, there MUST be agreement with the highlighted statement...

I think you will have to accept that as a no, we can not agree.
Closed Thread