Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
Plants from seed or graft,etc. is subject to natural selection. You can plant a row of corn, soybean, rice,whatever and have variations of outcome. Grass just like any other type of living organism is subject to environmental stress. Living conditions plays a role, and so does the genetic relationship with the host. Poor genetic hosts will not fair well!! I believe that you can plant 15 of the same species of shrub, flower, grass type, tree and there will always be a 1/3 that will not fair well. It isn't always due to environmental issues....it is natural selection. Something went wrong in the DNA chain.
I wasn't going to talk on this thread , but when somebody blames mutated DNA for 1/3 of plantings gone bad I have to stop and laugh... I shoot for 100% success rate on my plantings and I usually make it... bad DNA doesn't generally reproduce/germinate at all...
Old 07-14-2012, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Axe,do we need to shut down all plant breeding programs? When you plant a bag of grass seed, do you get 100% germination?

What role does photosynthesis play in plant growth?
Old 07-14-2012, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Axe, you wanted to talk horticulture. Let's talk horticulture.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Its not snake oil when integrated into a complete program. I am not 100% chemical. Most certainly not 100% organic. Organics are used when indicated and in conjunction with not instead of suitable fertilizers. Some of the claims made for "organic" products remind me of when alchemists were the pinnacle of knowledge. Trying to create gold from other elements. Same is true of plant nutrition. Garbage in garbage out and if an element is not present in necessary quantities, organic matter is not a substitute.
You know the alchemist were eventually proven correct in their assumptions?

That being said I get where you were going with it and agree that a hybrid type program can be beneficial up to a point, but if a proper soil is not in place to begin with or a program to replenish the soil organically "e.g." compost that contains the necessary nutrients+OM, a bug in a jug product will NOT magically correct the issues and will still require chemical derived inputs to provide plant growth support in most all circumstances.

I'm aware that chemicals provide a quick fix on the cheap compared.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Plants have been around longer than humans. How did the plants survive without us here to fertilize them?

I drive by plants that are 75 - 100 + years old everyday. Unless the fertilizer gods provide them with fertilizer, they get no additional nutrients other than what nature provides. How do they survive? I'll give you a hint OM.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Could it be that those old plants are growing where the necessary elements are present and the OM is simply a carrier for those elements? GIGO, if it is not there, then things will not grow.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-14-2012, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Other than in or around a lave flow or a few other instances ( soil ruined because of salt build up, etc....) How much completely barren land have you ever seen?

I was in Hilo a few years ago and saw some magnificent specimens. How did they grow in an island formed by a volcanoe?
Old 07-14-2012, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My point relates to trying to grow what we humans want there rather than what will grow there. I have not seen any truly barren land, but what is growing there without inputs would not meet the standards for commercially acceptable landscapes. Those plants you saw on the Big Island are what will naturally grow there. I try to take those same plants and put them in a Honolulu landscape, they are probably dead.

Old 07-14-2012, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Really, I haven't seen any commercially acceptable landscapes nearly as nice as what I saw around Hilo. Maybe if we humans didn't try to fit a round peg in a square hole, life wouldn't be nearly as frustrating or expensive!
Old 07-14-2012, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quite true. Tell that to the people that freak out over weeds or want XX as their shrubs and ground covers.

Closed Thread