Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Axe, you ridicule another poster for stating his opinion, yet you get on here and whine when someone does that to you.

I never said anything about DNA or plants reverting,mutating, etc........

Ever heard someone say right plant,right place? That's what I was getting at. Now who was running off on a tangent.

In my opinion, you will never create the perfect soil, you have to learn to work with what you have. Can you make improvements to soils? Yes, if you want to spend the time and money.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
All these little random bits of half-truths being machine gunned out there w/out ever putting together the whole pix, is when the point of horticulture is lost entirely... DNA gives every living creature the genetic material for a Family of Critters to survive even thrive within a certain Set of Circumstances...

So, one is speaking truth, when one says that: "Genetics does play a part in plant growth."...

For the purspose of this discussion, it would be 'correct' to say that the DNA, that makes up the POA, gives it the variability to live in the Temperate Zone of planet Earth...

B4 anything more can be sensibly revealed, there MUST be agreement with the highlighted statement...
OK, I'll bite. correct me if I'm wrong, for the time being you want to narrow the horticultural discussion to the DNA of KBG to the green zone below? If that is correct, what next?
Attached Images

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-16-2012, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasssales2001 View Post
Axe, you ridicule another poster for stating his opinion, yet you get on here and whine when someone does that to you.

I never said anything about DNA or plants reverting,mutating, etc........

Ever heard someone say right plant,right place? That's what I was getting at. Now who was running off on a tangent.

In my opinion, you will never create the perfect soil, you have to learn to work with what you have. Can you make improvements to soils? Yes, if you want to spend the time and money.
Are you saying that I was talking to you with every comment I made??? did you make the claim that dna is responsible for 1/3 of your plants dieing off and environmental conditions have nothing to do with it???
I have no problem with anyone challenging any thing I've ever said, as long as it is a legitimate challenge... an example... I will say it again so that everyone is clear... an example of what I mean is what you just posted now... ask yourself these questions and see if any of them apply...
Did I say anything about perfect soils???
Did I say anything ridiculing you about dna,reverting etc. etc.???
Did I even comment about 'right plant, right place'???

this is just an example demonstrating a rant directed at me that had nothing to do with me... you feel offended and you feel its my fault and you feel that you can accuse me of saying things that I never said... remember this is just one example of feelings vs. thought... I don't think it is worthwhile to explain myself to anyone becuz I don't think anyone cares to even try to understand and certainly won't discuss dna or soils... there are 2 subject that are taboo on this forum now...
Old 07-16-2012, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I don't think anyone cares to even try to understand and certainly won't discuss dna or soils... there are 2 subject that are taboo on this forum now...
Seams to me that soils have been discussed quite a bit on these forums.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-16-2012, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
OK, I'll bit. correct me if I'm wrong, for the time being you want to narrow the horticultural discussion to the DNA of KBG to the green zone below? If that is correct, what next?
The point of my statement was the idea that,,, the family of grasses or Poaceae has the genetic variabilty to produce poa pratensis(KBG) and poa supina...
Anyways, it is correct to say that from that variation individual genus species of all sorts selected to survive in all these different areas... KBG has a subset of the genetic material that is contained in all poa genus...
the family poaceae contain all the genetic material found in all of its subsets... adaptation selects the genes that will function best in a given environment...

The reason I made this point as a starting point was becuz the conversation seemed to be going in the direction that new genetic material was being added in the breeding processes and that sometimes these new genes weren't functioning correctly, or some such thing as that... so to clarify, I wanted to be sure we were all on the same page regarding the source of the genes in the first place... I hope this clarifies my statement...

as far as 'what's next',,, I don't remember anymore...
Old 07-16-2012, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Seams to me that soils have been discussed quite a bit on these forums.
As long as one doesn't physically look at the texture, structure or moisture content of the top few inches of the root zone...
Old 07-16-2012, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
The point of my statement was the idea that,,, the family of grasses or Poaceae has the genetic variabilty to produce poa pratensis(KBG) and poa supina...
Anyways, it is correct to say that from that variation individual genus species of all sorts selected to survive in all these different areas... KBG has a subset of the genetic material that is contained in all poa genus...
the family poaceae contain all the genetic material found in all of its subsets... adaptation selects the genes that will function best in a given environment...
You know, I was going to stay out of this ridiculous thread, but I can't take it anymore. The above is so far from being accurate it is not even funny. Axe, stop trying to talk intelligently (or otherwise) on subjects you don't understand please.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
You know, I was going to stay out of this ridiculous thread, but I can't take it anymore. The above is so far from being accurate it is not even funny. Axe, stop trying to talk intelligently (or otherwise) on subjects you don't understand please.
Once again you only offer slams, never anything in reality about what is wrong with the statements... maybe if you posted a bunch of brochures for me to read, you wouldn't have to go out on a limb and make a statement of your own...

The reason I said what I said was becuz a lot of things about dna was being tossed about so it was necessary to formulate a foundation from which to build a thought process... the foundation presented is the foundation of all biology from the point of genetics... if you have some other idea, then there is no discussion possible...

nothing exists outside of its inherited gene pool... no new genes are ever added... mutations only lose genetic information due to corrupted copies... anything outside those parameters is theories of foolishness, so don't even post the endless brochures of theories w/out a single real life example... I've seen already and until someone proves me wrong I'll not waste time on those psuedo-intellectual mental gyrations...
Old 07-16-2012, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

How about you learn how the science of taxonomy works before you comment on it Axe.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Still another slam on the foundational truths of genetics rather than specify what exactly is in error... personal attacks are used by those who have nothing left to say on their own behalf... so go ahead and insult me all you want...
Closed Thread