Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-15-2012, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What size & brand chainsaw to buy?

I have just got a clean up job that has a fallen pine tree in their back yard. Trunk section is about 20' long and about 16"-18" wide. Time to retire my Sears 12" electric. I got it for free and it worked ok taking off a small limb when needed.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

No body has any experience, knowledge to share?

The main section of the trunk is 20' long the top section with all the branches is broken off of the main trunk.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would go with a 18'' bar and as far as brand goes Husqvarna, Echo, and Stihl are all good reliable brands.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This just showed up on my radar. I do not keep a large chain saw as I just take off small limbs. I hate to say it but most of my chain saw jobs includes the cost of cheap chain saw needed to do the job. They are pretty low cost but we abuse them.

Now if I could do that on mowing jobs I would be in good shape.

Honestly, You can get an 18" chain saw for less than 200. I charge by the hour and atleast 25% of the saw or 50 to 75
Old 05-16-2012, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
This just showed up on my radar. I do not keep a large chain saw as I just take off small limbs. I hate to say it but most of my chain saw jobs includes the cost of cheap chain saw needed to do the job. They are pretty low cost but we abuse them.

Now if I could do that on mowing jobs I would be in good shape.

Honestly, You can get an 18" chain saw for less than 200. I charge by the hour and atleast 25% of the saw or 50 to 75
I've heard of this practice. We like to refer to them as "disposable chainsaws" for rare occasions one is required. I did something like that, but with a wheelbarrow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2012, 02:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zechstoker View Post
I've heard of this practice. We like to refer to them as "disposable chainsaws" for rare occasions one is required. I did something like that, but with a wheelbarrow.
Posted via Mobile Device
The cost of small tools, less than 200 needed for jobs, I like to recover 75% plus my estimated labor. Yes, can get some extra work out of them with minor maintenance but they are so cheap, hardly worth sending to the shop.

I will clean them up, change the chains and such but why spend time on them at the cost of labor. I mean it cost money to go get the chain, sharpen them, bar oil and such. 75% of the cost seems fair to me.

Same for fixing flats on wheelbarrows.... when you get to the job no less.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
The cost of small tools, less than 200 needed for jobs, I like to recover 75% plus my estimated labor. Yes, can get some extra work out of them with minor maintenance but they are so cheap, hardly worth sending to the shop.

I will clean them up, change the chains and such but why spend time on them at the cost of labor. I mean it cost money to go get the chain, sharpen them, bar oil and such. 75% of the cost seems fair to me.

Same for fixing flats on wheelbarrows.... when you get to the job no less.
I only had one job come up where I needed the wheelbarrow. It served its purpose, brought it home, and got a flat 10 minutes later when cruising it around here. Ended up buying a solid rubber tire (universal fit), and now it's just hanging out collecting spider webs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2012, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zechstoker View Post
I only had one job come up where I needed the wheelbarrow. It served its purpose, brought it home, and got a flat 10 minutes later when cruising it around here. Ended up buying a solid rubber tire (universal fit), and now it's just hanging out collecting spider webs.
Posted via Mobile Device
You should charge it rent.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
I have just got a clean up job that has a fallen pine tree in their back yard. Trunk section is about 20' long and about 16"-18" wide. Time to retire my Sears 12" electric. I got it for free and it worked ok taking off a small limb when needed.

Echo,Efco,Solo,Husky or Stihl. A Stihl 260 w/ 18" bad would do you justice.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you just have that one tree to cut up maybe just rent a 18 -20" saw. Either that or go buy one from WalMart.
Posted via Mobile Device