Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2012, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

very interesting idea. I always aerate, seed then fert in that order. I seem to think that using my ride on to fert will help with soil contact.

Interested in the seeding then aerating method. I always thought the tines may destroy or break some seeds, but guess it isn't enought to tell. But also wanted some of the seed to fall in the aeration holes.

If your test holds and we only need aeration holes of 1-2 inches or less that could speed things up. I have a lawn solutions ride on and could do more passes at 1 inch deep than 3 inches deep due to equipment wear and tear.

Keep us updated.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
The seed should germinate rather quickly from down inside the hole... the big issue for the future is: Will the crown be buried and eventually kill the grassling???
see axe, there IS something we agree on...
Old 07-17-2012, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

it seems like a lot of people offer aerating and seeding done simultaneously, like this is the way to do it...trugreen does it, therefore it's probably not the best method...i can see a shallow aerating simply for seed to soil contact...i have a hard time believing seeding into a 3 or 4 inch hole does much, especially after germination...slit seeding is the best method, but done with aerating is best...i agree that aerating for the purpose of aerating is for decompaction, not for seeding...

i'm interested to see how well the grass does in the deeper holes...i guess it makes for deep roots, that's for sure, and deep roots are always a good thing...
Old 07-23-2012, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I often read about 3-4" cores. I rarely every see them. The average middle finger is about 3" from tip to base. Enough said. But on the aeration/seeding topic, I've done this several times. Most people don't want to pay for slit seeding. If you double or tripple pass the lawn with the grass cut fairly short (shorter than normal), overseed and WATER, WATER, WATER (emphasize water), you will see results. I aerate 200+ lawns per year with several overseeds. Watered lawns germinate. Non irrigated lawns struggle. I did this for two customers last fall in the same cul-de-sac. Across the street from each other. One guy watered daily, sometimes twice. The other guy rarely watered and relied on rain. One of these lawns filled in quite nicely.